Schilbeids in the Malebo Pool, Congo River

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Schilbeids in the Malebo Pool, Congo River

Post by bekateen »

Swana, W. L., Mutanda, S. K., Kilingwa, C. M., Manikisa, I., Bekeli, M. N. S., & Kiamfu, V. P. (2022). Contribution to the Knowledge of the Ichthyological Diversity and Exploitation Mode of Schilbeidae Fishes (Siluriformes) in the Malebo Pool (Congo River), R.D Congo. European Scientific Journal, ESJ, 18(30), 178.

Swana, W. L., Mutanda, S. K., Kilingwa, C. M., Manikisa, I., Bekeli, M. N. S., & Kiamfu, V. P. (2022). Contribution à la Connaissance de la Diversité Ichtyologique et Mode D’exploitation de Poissons Schilbeidae (Siluriformes) dans le Pool Malebo (Fleuve Congo), RD Congo. European Scientific Journal, ESJ, 18(30), 178.

Doi:10.19044/esj.2022.v18n30p178
PDF: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Wi ... -Congo.pdf
Abstract
This study aims to contribute to the knowledge of the ichthyological
diversity as well as the exploitation mode of Schilbeidae fishes (Siluriformes) fished in the Malebo Pool (Congo River) in D.R. Congo. The harvesting of fish was done monthly between February and September 2019 in four fishing stations using gillnets (50 to 100 m long and 2.5 m high and 8 to 50 mm mesh), dip nets (0.5 to 2 mm mesh) as well as longlines of 50 m long with hooks of n° 7, 10, 11 and 13. Discussions were held with the fishermen working in the selected stations in order to identify the mode of exploitation of Schilbeidae fish. The results obtained show that there is a diversity of fish in this family. Eight species (Schilbe mystus Linné, 1758; S. intermedius Rüppell, 1832; S. zairensis De Vos, 1995; S. congoensis Leach, 1818; S. marmoratus Pellegrin, 1926; Parailia congica Boulenger, 1900; P. occidentalis Pellegrin, 1901 and Pareutropius mandevillei Poll, 1900) grouped in three genera (Schilbe, Parailia and Pareutropius) have been identified in the Malebo Pool. Fish of the genera Schilbe (62 %) and Parailia (25 %) are the most abundant. At the species level, Schilbe mystus (261 specimens), S. intermedius (107 specimens) and S. zairensis (26 individuals) are the most representative. In terms of species richness, the stations of Kinkole (8 species and H' = 1.42) and Kinsuka (7 species and H' = 1.205) are the most diverse. In terms of abundance, the months of July, June, May and August are the most favorable for the fishing of Schilbe mystus, S. intermedius, S. zairensis and Parailia occidentalis. The surveys carried out have shown that these fish are exploited regularly and have a high economic value. All sizes of fish are retained when fishing with non-selective gears, which indicates an irrational exploitation of Schilbeidae fish in the Malebo Pool.
Keywords: Ichthyological fauna, Schilbeidae, Species richness, Exploitation mode, Malebo Pool, R.D Congo
Résumé
Cette étude a pour objectif de contribuer à la connaissance de la
diversité ichtyologique ainsi que le mode d’exploitation des poissons
Schilbeidae (Siluriformes) pêchés dans le Pool Malebo (fleuve Congo) en R.D Congo. La récolte de poissons s’est faite mensuellement entre Février et Septembre 2019 dans quatre stations de pêche à l’aide des filets maillants (50 à 100 m de long et 2,5 m de hauteur et de 8 à 50 mm de mailles), des épuisettes (0,5 à 2 mm de mailles) ainsi que des palangres de 50 m de long portant des hameçons de n° 7, 10, 11 et 13. Des échanges ont été engagés avec les pêcheurs œuvrant dans les stations retenues en vue de déceler le mode d’exploitation de poisson Schilbeidae. Les résultats obtenus montrent qu’il y a une diversité de poissons de cette famille. Huit espèces (Schilbe mystus Linné, 1758 ; S. intermedius Rüppell, 1832 ; S. zairensis De Vos, 1995 ; S. congoensis Leach, 1818 ; S. marmoratus Pellegrin, 1926 ; Parailia congica Boulenger, 1900 ; P. occidentalis Pellegrin, 1901 et Pareutropius mandevillei Poll, 1900) regroupées en trois genres (Schilbe, Parailia et Pareutropius) ont été identifiées dans le Pool Malebo. Les poissons des genres Schilbe (62 %) et Parailia (25 %) sont les plus abondants. Au niveau des espèces, Schilbe mystus (261 spécimens), S. intermedius (107 spécimens) et S. zairensis (26 individus) sont les plus représentatifs. En terme de richesse spécifique, les stations de Kinkole (8 espèces et H’ = 1,42) et Kinsuka (7 espèces et H’ = 1,205) sont les plus diversifiées. En termes d’abondance, les mois de Juillet, Juin, Mai et Août sont les plus propices à la pêche des poissons Schilbe mystus, S. intermedius, S. zairensis et Parailia occidentalis. Les enquêtes réalisées ont montré que ces poissons sont exploités régulièrement et, présentent une grande valeur économique. Toutes les tailles de poissons sont retenues lors de la pêche pratiquée avec des engins non sélectifs, ce qui présage une exploitation irrationnelle de poissons Schilbeidae dans le Pool Malebo.
Mots-clés: Faune ichtyologique, Schilbeidae, Richesse spécifique, Mode
d’exploitation, Pool Malebo, R.D Congo
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”