Diversity and systematics of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin, Brazil

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Diversity and systematics of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin, Brazil

Post by Jools »

Diversity and systematics of Trichomycterus Valenciennes 1832 (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) in the Rio Doce Basin: iterating DNA, phylogeny and classical taxonomy. Vinícius Reis, Mário De Pinna
Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 17 June 2022.

Abstract
The catfish genus is a recognized taxonomic bottleneck in Neotropical ichthyology. The hitherto poorly-known diversity of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin, Brazil, is here investigated using an iterative approach based on morphology and cytochrome oxidase subunit I (COI) sequence data. Specimens from the entire Rio Doce Drainage and adjacent basins are analysed, including from type localities. Iteration of different sources of data, dense sampling and taxonomic representation, plus information on relevant type specimens allows a clear view of the diversity, relationships and nomenclature of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin. Results indicate the presence of at least 14 species in the basin, seven of which are new. A lectotype is designated for and the type locality is accordingly restricted to the Rio São Mateus, a satellite basin north of the Rio Doce. Geographic distributions are mapped for all recognized species. The wide distributions of some species (e.g. , T. immaculatus) are explained against information on geomorphological processes and comparative information on their biology. A Bayesian phylogenetic analysis shows that a large portion of the assemblage of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce forms a clade, a pattern relevant to understanding the evolution of the genus in eastern South America.

If anyone has a PDF of this, I would appreciate a copy.

Cheers,

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Diversity and systematics of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin, Brazil

Post by bekateen »

Moderator note. This work was previous available as a dissertation: viewtopic.php?p=314624#p314624
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”