Treating Planaria infestation in L number Catfish Tanks

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
antzfish
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Melbourne

Treating Planaria infestation in L number Catfish Tanks

Post by antzfish »

Hi guys,

I am from Melbourne, Australia.

Does anybody know the best/safest way of Treating Planaria infestation in L number Catfish Tanks?

I have been reading about Fenbendazole but I have found no information regarding it's effect on L number catfish.

I have a 5000 litre system with several different species.

I keep L 015, L046, L066, L129, L134 & a few others.

Cheers
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Treating Planaria infestation in L number Catfish Tanks

Post by bekateen »

I think you could use that, or any maybe any normal "dewormer" medicine that's safe for fish. Worth a try anyway.

Alternatively, planaria really thrive in overfed tanks. Maybe reduce feedings for a few weeks? IDK if it would do any good, but it shouldn't hurt the fish.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Hi
Do you have any other fish in the tank? You could introduce (if only temporarily) mollies, bettas, angelfish, all are known to eat planaria in the aquarium. But as Eric says, reduce feeding and/or hoover out the leftovers/waste more often.
HTH
Martin
antzfish
Location 2: Melbourne

Post by antzfish »

Thanks for the responses guys.
I ended up speaking to local aquarium shop and they recommend " Liverpool Creek Aquariums" Planaria Fix"
1st treatment 12ml per 50 Lts
After 48 hrs treated again.
Then 50 % water change after another 48hrs.
No sign of any planaria .
No losses of any fish, fry or eggs.

After 1st treatment my 200s had first batch of eggs.
Sadly he scattered them all over the tank. But it's a great starting point.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

Planaria are your best friends!
They provide you an early warning your tank is in trouble, the next stage is fish begin dying. A wake up call to your fish keeping skills.

And in addition, planaria are the best mop up crew to remedy your errors. Besides providing an excellent live food source for your fish.
Aqua1967
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Michigan

Post by Aqua1967 »

I had some planaria appear in a shrimp breeding tank and I withheld food for a couple of days and then used a glass tube with 3 holes in it (planaria trap), added some blood worms in the tube, capped it and shoved it down slightly into the substrate. The next morning I had planaria inside to pour into the trash or a potted plant and then rinse out. I did this for several days in a row and on the third day there was nothing in the trap. I watch this tank each morning with a cup of coffee as it is right near the spot I usually sit each morning. I’ve seen no planaria since. It was chemical free and it seemed to work for me. I acted as soon as I saw them and did not wait for it to get out of control.

Also, I’ve never found a fish that would eat them here at my house. About 15 years ago when I first experienced planaria I did try to find fish that would do the job.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Aqua1967 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 11:54Also, I’ve never found a fish that would eat them here at my house. About 15 years ago when I first experienced planaria I did try to find fish that would do the job.
I've never had any fish that eat them either.

cheers Darrel

Return to “Speak Easy”