Tips for new pleco breeding project thanks.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Tips for new pleco breeding project thanks.

Post by Woodh »

Had so much problem with my corys etc and I feel like I am "done" with my L397s after having 3 spawns.

First I thought about putting the hobby on the shelf for awhile but then I realized how boring my life would be so I will instead treat myself with a tank for christmas :)) Think ill go something in the 300litres range, perhaps abit larger or abit smaller.

Anyway I wan't to breed some more "challenging" pleco that not as many have been successful with or maybe a more rare one, I am on a limited budget but can spend a fair amount on the fish. My first thought was L200 but feel like they might need larger tanks and the price on them in my area is abit hefty(150euros~ per fish) so maybe something slightly cheaper and smaller than that.

Any ideas?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Tips for new pleco breeding project thanks.

Post by Jools »

How about or, if that's a bit too tricky, whatever species of takes your fancy?

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Yes, any would be good. Or if you want to "level jump" in your 300L, try any .

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
emanuel
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:4)
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: Trent (Trento)

Post by emanuel »

Peckoltia compta is incredibly beautiful when young, but unfortunately as an adult its color tends to fade and become much less interesting. A pleco with a very similar color but which maintains the bright yellow and black stripes even as an adult is L168 (Dekeyseria brachyura/Zonancistrus brachyurus)
However if I were you I would really think again about L200(Hemiancistrus subviridis as an adult maintains a more beautiful color than Baryancistrus demantoides). In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful pleco's, furthermore mine is the only pleco in the aquarium to always show itself with the lights on, all the other pleco that I keep come out of the caves mostly at night, L200 instead always swims in the tank during the day.

Otherwise I find Leporacanthicus heterodon L172 splendid, but it grows almost like L200
sorry for my bad English
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Woodh »

Thanks for the input/ideas guys, think L134 is out of the question since I have a guy in my area that breed them so I don't wan't to be direct competitor and he get enough of them to saturate the market.

I might just go for L200 anyway(would be nice with a pleco that you see, are you having them in a breeding setup or community?), the price is too much for me right now to buy a decent group but maybe ill just start with 2-3 and then add more at a later date- maybe that's even the best way to go? The pricey ones that are in shop now are almost adult though and I suspect the next batch will be small, do you think this would be a recipe for disaster/problems?

The Leporas(is that an ok way to label them? Never know these days /:) ) are also tempting but I know next to nothing about them and have never seen them in person but maybe that's a good thing, going to the shop tommorow to order/buy fish(if L200) will update here I guess.

I am still open for other suggestions, thought alittle bit about L260 but they seem pretty easy and "common" which is something I kinda wan't to avoid, very pretty fish though. I know there are also these L236 superwhite in stock but there are only two(small) and they cost so much I don't know if it's something I wan't to go for considering it's likely I won't end up with a pair and who knows when I can find more(and frankly I don't think they look better than L260).
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Woodh wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:35

I might just go for L200 anyway(would be nice with a pleco that you see, are you having them in a breeding setup or community?)
At the moment I have only one adult specimen(you can see the photo in the topic below this), but I plan to reach 4 as soon as possible. I don't want to miss the spectacle of a group of 4 green plecos swimming in broad daylight.
Woodh wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:35 The pricey ones that are in shop now are almost adult though and I suspect the next batch will be small, do you think this would be a recipe for disaster/problems?
I think it's a good idea, no disaster
Woodh wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:35 I am still open for other suggestions, thought alittle bit about L260 but they seem pretty easy and "common" which is something I kinda wan't to avoid, very pretty fish though. I know there are also these L236 superwhite in stock but there are only two(small) and they cost so much I don't know if it's something I wan't to go for considering it's likely I won't end up with a pair and who knows when I can find more(and frankly I don't think they look better than L260).
I have a pair of L260s in my tank and they are the shyest pleco ever, they never show up, they are the only fish I regret having bought. Too bad because their color is gorgeous. Maybe I was just unlucky with them, I don't know.
sorry for my bad English
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Woodh wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:35The Leporas(is that an ok way to label them?
Not for me, but it's a personal thing, I just read it as Rabbits. :-)

Jools
cavefish
Location 1: Malta
Location 2: Europe

Post by cavefish »

I have had a different experience with my L200. They are in a 800L tank with a breeding colony of L397s, L340s and a pair of P. apithanos. The L200 are the most reclusive of the bunch and really slow growing. They only show up during feeding and stay in the vicinity of the driftwood, quick to run for cover.

The group of 4 I bought around 18 months ago and still around 3" mark. Sometimes I blame their slow growth on the limited weekly 10% water change the tank gets, but than again the L397 fry growth seems decent.

Good luck with whichever species you opt for Woodh!
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Hi Cavefish, I have also read other experiences of L200 very shy. In my case it's really amazing how my L200 is always out during the day and disappears into its cave as soon as the lights go out. I was so excited about it that now I'm looking for a breeding group, whereas before my plan was to keep it as a single pleco and have a breeding group of L168. Now instead I keep a single L168 (actually there are two specimens) and I want a group of L200 :))

I think sometimes if the pleco shows up during the day it's just a matter of luck, but I have to say that I've read very often about L200 and L128 being very active during the day. In my opinion the probability of the L200 showing itself during the day is higher than other plecos.
As for growth I can't tell you, even I only do 10% water changes weekly, but my L200 has arrived in the tank already over 5 inches (more than 12cm). But it often happens that herbivorous plecos like L200 or L18 do not grow well in the aquarium, the reason is not always clear, perhaps try to increase the dose of food?
sorry for my bad English
cavefish
Location 1: Malta
Location 2: Europe

Post by cavefish »

After posting this I tried to observe my L200s to try and post some pictures. They actually might be pushing 4" now, at least the 2 bigger individuals.

I could supplement the tank with some sliced cucumber but being a 30" tall tank I really hate having to fish for the uneaten skins 😅.
Attachments
IMG_20221220_174617.jpg
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

cavefish, oh really nice specimen! 4 inches is already an interesting measure. Instead of the cucumber, I give slices of zucchini (courgettes), they are eaten in a short time, including the peel, so you don't have to fish anything from the aquarium. I simply throw them in the tank and the fish eat them, very simple, fast and cheap b-) :))

Just yesterday I made this video while my L200 eats zucchini.
sorry for my bad English

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”