Genetic population structure of Pseudoplatystoma corruscans

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Genetic population structure of Pseudoplatystoma corruscans

Post by Silurus »

Rueda, EC, CB Machado, V Castro, A Braga-Silva, G Ojeda, F. Vargas, G Loretan, PD Freitas, PM Galetti Jr & G Ortí, 2023. Genetic population structure of Pseudoplatystoma corruscans (Siluriformes: Pimelodidae) and evidence of temporal variation in structure. Journal of Fish Biology doi: 10.1111/jfb.15346.

Abstract
Surubim (Pseudoplatystoma corruscans, Pimelodidae) are migratory catfish native to the rivers in the La Plata and São Francisco basins. They are piscivores that attain considerable body sizes and are a valuable economic resource. Surubim exhibits extensive migrations during its life cycle that may affect the population structure at vast geographic scales. We examined the genetic diversity and population genetic structure of P. corruscans using microsatellite markers from a comprehensive sampling of 260 individuals from the Upper and Lower Paraná River. We identified two well-differentiated genetic clusters corresponding to a natural geographic barrier historically separating Upper and Lower Paraná regions. We also demonstrated temporal variation in population genetic structure at a site in Lower Paraná close to the confluence with the Paraguay river, most likely explained by the influx of migrant fishes at certain times of the year.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Re: Genetic population structure of Pseudoplatystoma corruscans

Post by aquaholic »

So are you saying there are two distinct populations?

With one area that contains both populations?

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”