Super Equis corydora?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Phoenix.L
My cats species list: 28 (i:1, k:28)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:53)
My Wishlist: 53
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Troy, NY.
Location 2: USA
Interests: Hiking/climbing, rockhounding, crafting/art, DIY aquarium builds and creating natural aquarium decor, aquascaping/biotopes, freshwater fish keeping and breeding especially catfish, loaches, gobies, and pipefish (all the oddballs)

Super Equis corydora?

Post by Phoenix.L »

Started seeing these pop up in online stores recently and now my lfs has a school in their display tank. They don’t sell out of the display generally but I have a pretty solid business relationship with the freshwater guy and got him to agree to sell them to me at a great price in exchange for him getting the option to purchase fry before I list them elsewhere.
The point though is that they do look like a separate but otherwise identical larger species of horseman’s but they are not listed on this site (yet?) curious if anyone has seen these/ has these and can confirm that they are a relatively newly available species? Do they like the same tank conditions as regular horseman’s?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Super Equis corydora?

Post by Jools »

Super Eques Corydoras is one of those older common names for C. eques, no? I remember something about Peruvian and Brazilian populations, maybe someone else can expand. I will look it up if not.

Cheers,

Jools
Catfish-ologist
My articles: 1
My images: 3
My cats species list: 56 (i:4, k:31)
My aquaria list: 14 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:4, p:205)
My Wishlist: 46
Spotted: 94
Location 1: Alabama
Interests: Auchenipteridae, Hypancistrus, and other Catfish.

Post by Catfish-ologist »

I am by no means an expert. I have an eques cory that I purchased a few years ago from a lfs. It was labelled "super eques". The story on the name is that the deeply colored specimens are labelled "super" and the brightly colored specimens aren't. I believe that Jools is right and this involves collection location. On the other hand I was recently at another lfs who claimed they had 50+ "super eques" in stock and they had C. schultzei.
Just my 2 cents.
-- Sean
Oh I'm only gonna get 1 tank for 1 catfish...(every time I see a catfish)! - Sean Hensley 2021

There may be limited space for catfish tanks but there is unlimited space for catfish knowledge. - Sean Hensley 2022

Everyone has limits. not everyone accepts them. - Anonymous
Phoenix.L
My cats species list: 28 (i:1, k:28)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:53)
My Wishlist: 53
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Troy, NY.
Interests: Hiking/climbing, rockhounding, crafting/art, DIY aquarium builds and creating natural aquarium decor, aquascaping/biotopes, freshwater fish keeping and breeding especially catfish, loaches, gobies, and pipefish (all the oddballs)

Post by Phoenix.L »

Honestly, I think you are right. These fish are bigger than my other horseman’s but they are also much more deeply colored, it is possible that the size of these ones is just kind of a fluke or is location based.
They are some nice looking fish and I am going to pick them up either way, but being as I breed corys I wanted to get some second opinions. It is important to me that I be completely accurate when describing my fish and their care needs to people.
Thanks!

Jools
[/quote]
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Phoenix.L wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 15:10 Honestly, I think you are right. These fish are bigger than my other horseman’s but they are also much more deeply colored, it is possible that the size of these ones is just kind of a fluke or is location based.
They are some nice looking fish and I am going to pick them up either way, but being as I breed corys I wanted to get some second opinions. It is important to me that I be completely accurate when describing my fish and their care needs to people.
Thanks!

Jools
Pictures would be nice

Jeanne

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”