Encheloclarias in Singapore

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Encheloclarias in Singapore

Post by Silurus »

Tan, ZW, EXP Toh, Y-X Cai, HH Tan & DCJ Yeo, 2023. Discovery of Encheloclarias (Teleostei: Clariidae) from Singapore, with notes on morphology and distribution. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 71: 196–206.

Abstract

We report the discovery of several specimens of the genus Encheloclarias Herre & Myers, 1937, in Singapore, from Nee Soon Swamp Forest in the Central Catchment Nature Reserve. Morphological comparisons with type specimens of various Encheloclarias species revealed the Singapore specimens belong to Encheloclarias kelioides Ng & Lim, 1993. This discovery represents a range extension for the species, previously understood to be restricted to peat swamps in eastern Peninsular Malaysia and possibly central Sumatra. A redescription of E. kelioides and comparison against its congeners are provided. Its ecology and conservation status globally and locally are also discussed.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”