Corydoras venezuelanus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Corydoras venezuelanus

Post by Manoah »

Hello, i have a group of corydoras venezuelanus (wild form not orange) in my venezuela biotope. I have read that they are from northern venezuela, rio tuy, lake valencia. But are there reports from a little more south near the orinoco or in the venezuela lowlands?

Thank you in advance,

Manoah
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Corydoras venezuelanus

Post by Shane »

That's a good question. C. venezuelanus (sensu strico) is restricted to coastal drainages north of the Serrania del Interior. This includes the Rio Tuy system and Lake Valencia drainages which were once connected, and several smaller drainages like the Rio Guapo. It is the only species of cory in these drainages.

Heading south you cross up and over the Serrania (the elevation ranges between 2,000 and 8,700 feet). The south side of the Serrania forms the northern boundry of the Orinoco drainage. In these drainages you encounter C. cf venezuelanus "black." Scientists have yet to study this fish. It could be a regional color variation or a new, distinct Corydoras sp. Further south C. cf venezuelanus "black" is replaced by C. concolor. This is interesting as the "black" fish may turn out to be more closely related to concolor than venezuelanus.

I find these drainages, cut off by the formation of the Andes, fascinating as they are homes to the most "ancestral" genera.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Manoah

Post by Manoah »

Wow thanks, this helps me a lot. So they are. Not found in south venezuela? Where Is the Serrania becouse i can’t seem to find it on google.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Yes, limited to drainages north of the branch of the Andes mountains that runs west to east across the coast of Venezuela. Have attached some helpful maps below.

This map calls the area Cordillera del Costa, but the term Serrania del Interior is more commonly used now. Maps were produced by a petro company in 1977.

They also show Lake Valencia as a distinct drainage but it was historically connected to the Rio Tuy in the wet season. The same fishes are found in both the Lake Valencia area and Tuy area.

-Shane
Attachments
20230323_133028.jpg
20230323_132808.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Manoah

Post by Manoah »

Thanks

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”