Wishlist editing

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Wishlist editing

Post by naturalart »

How do I edit my wishlist? Not seeing it.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Wishlist editing

Post by bekateen »

Hi naturalart.

Across the top of the page, find the "My Stuff" tab. Click on it to find "My Wishlist." Click on it. You can remove any items shown there using the "Remove" link / trashcan icon to the far right of each species.
Screenshot_20230319-090456_Chrome.jpg
To add species, go to the CLOG page of the species you want and near the top right of the clog page is a heart-shaped link to add the fish to your wishlist. It's to the right of the "+ My Cats" link.
Screenshot_20230319-090556_Chrome.jpg
Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Thanks Eric, appreciate the help. And what would be more user friendly in my opinion, in addition to the CLOG 'path', would be an "add" feature on the "My Wishlist" page.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Hi Naturalart,

Would be good to explore this add feature.

I thought that users are either (1) browsing the cat-elog, or (2) they are in an fish store or reading a book and then want to add a fish to their wishlist.

If (1) then they add the wish from the species profile.

If (2) you type the species name in the "quick search" box, go to the species profile, add the wish. Repeat.

How would you see it working with your suggestion?

Cheers,

Jools
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

For me sometimes, i see or read about a fish I decide I want, in my little brain I automatically think 'wishlist', I go on Planetcatfish and go to "My Wishlist" There would be an "Add to" button just like the "remove from" button. I click in it and it takes me to a 'subpanel' with the Cat-e-log in it. There I find the species and click on it and it puts it in my list.

Of course, if I just have a common name, or a pseudonym, then I' will have to do my research first, just like everybody else.

I know this is easier said than done, but thats the idea. Thanks for asking Jools.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

No worries, good to talk about it.

So, let's say you have your "wishlist moment" and head over to this site. If, as you say, you then go to wish list(1), click a new add button (2) and then select species(3) and then add to wishlist(4), then that's four steps.

Alternatively, if you head over to the site, type the species in the quick find (1), add to the wishlist(2) then that's two steps.

The general design principle I've used is to use quick find to get to a species page then add a "my cats", "wish, "spot" or whatever from there. And to have as few steps as possible.

You could do (1) go to my wishlist (2) type species in quick find and (3) add species to a wishlist if that helps how your thought process works?

The only way I could make it quicker would be to add the ability to add to your wishlist (or my cats etc) directly from the quick find result page without visiting the species datasheet. That might be a bit cluttered, especially on mobile, but could be done.

If this doesn't make sense (quite likely as I am not sure my explanation is brilliant) then let me know, and I could put an explanatory video up. I am quite interested in this as I do know people use the site in lots of different ways and it helps me to learn those.

Cheers,

Jools
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Thanks Jools. I like what you said here:

You could do (1) go to my wishlist (2) type species in quick find and (3) add species to a wishlist if that helps how your thought process works?

I don't mind bending my thought process to use the site. But that said, sometimes its not so much about how efficient a process is but that it is 'user friendly'. Think ergonomics. As you said, people use the site in all kinds of different ways' and I would bet many of them are not very efficient. And while I know you can't accommodate everyones way of doing things, the more options you have for getting results, the more happy end users you retain.

Thanks for all you guys do for the site. My constructive 2¢
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Indeed, "user-centric" as they call it nowadays. The former roughly means both the process and the interface, with user-friendly meaning the interface. Anyway, I get it, and I understand its importance. Nowadays, folks look at the process and design the software/website to that to make a "great experience". When I started we were just happy if it worked. :-) :-) :-) I have always liked trying to get it as close as I can to the good experience while also being efficient. Hence it's really helpful when folks take the time to detail the experience.

Anyhow, if the "(1) go to my wishlist (2) type species in quick find and (3) add species to a wishlist" works for you then can I mark this one as complete?

Cheers,

Jools
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Sure, I'll give it a go.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Awesome, chalking this one off the list. :-)

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”