Dwarf Chain Loaches Spawning in 125gal.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Dwarf Chain Loaches Spawning in 125gal.

Post by sturiosoma »

https://youtu.be/P5MGtwsLlwM
eggs are very, very small.

Jeanne
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Dwarf Chain Loaches Spawning in 125gal.

Post by bekateen »

Nice. Did you collect the eggs? Have they spawned before?
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
sturiosoma

Post by sturiosoma »

bekateen wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 20:26 Nice. Did you collect the eggs? Have they spawned before?
They have spawned before, but I am not able to collect eggs, this spawn took place at the opposite end of tank where the sturio eggs are, and that end of the tank has a sand substrate for the Bahuja so to try and find eggs in the sand would be very difficult, also was not able to find any info as far as hatch time, guess I could just keep an eye out in the area of the spawn.

Jeanne
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have kept a group of these loaches for about 20 years. I have never seen any indication they spawn and I am not even sure what I could do to encourage them to. What really surprised me about these fish is how long they live. They compete with my clown loaches for longevity.

Any clues to spawning posted here would be eagerly read.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
sturiosoma

Post by sturiosoma »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 17:06 I have kept a group of these loaches for about 20 years. I have never seen any indication they spawn and I am not even sure what I could do to encourage them to. What really surprised me about these fish is how long they live. They compete with my clown loaches for longevity.

Any clues to spawning posted here would be eagerly read.
I watched these fish a while before the video and I did see eggs, and now in trying to gather info everyone says it's, impossible to breed in home aquarium, not that I was trying, and that they are bred commercially and injected with hormones, but commercial breeders have bare bottom tanks maybe this area of my tank feels like home in the wild, I posted a pic of the end of the tank, it has a play sand substrate, driftwood and some plants
DSCN0969.JPG
Parameters
temp 27c
ph 7.3
tds 250ppm I gotta lower that.
tank depth 21"
I have a 30gal. cube that I think would be ideal for a breeding tank.
Anything's worth a try.
You can see in the pic there's a loach hanging out there.

Jeanne
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

I've been breeding chain and other loaches (khuli, clown, modesta etc) for a while. I generally use hormones and then let them spawn by themselves but not always. Sometimes artificially hand strip, sometimes purely natural spawns. Hormones allows me to schedule live food production, obtain bigger batches, synchronise hatching and my work commitments.

Once your loaches are spawning, it's quite easy to hand strip gametes (dry fertilisation) if you want to collect eggs easily. You would need to dilute sperm with 9% saline to extend the volume.

If you want to eggs from a natural spawn, I would use 6 or 8 mm river gravel (rounded - smooth), a 3mm mesh layer to exclude adults then more gravel. I use oyster mesh product in diamond pattern for my mesh. Species only tank, male heavy, not too many spawners at once. Then remove adults after a spawn as they will all eat eggs and newly hatched babies during and after spawning. The spawning tank becomes your hatching and initial rearing tank.

Going slightly off track but in the case of khuli, the mesh layer on a particularly deep gravel bed allows me to keep the adults in the tank continuously. I've no idea of the success rate or how many fish there are but juveniles and semi adults pop up once they are too big to be eaten. Easy low maintenance method of breeding. As khulis are so secretive, keeping a large number ensures I will see some fish at all times. I have an undergravel filter plate that lets me feed decapulated artemia cysts directly to bottom area and I can glimpse baby fish though the glass bottom.
sturiosoma

Post by sturiosoma »

aquaholic wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 03:53 I've been breeding chain and other loaches (khuli, clown, modesta etc) for a while. I generally use hormones and then let them spawn by themselves but not always. Sometimes artificially hand strip, sometimes purely natural spawns. Hormones allows me to schedule live food production, obtain bigger batches, synchronise hatching and my work commitments.

Once your loaches are spawning, it's quite easy to hand strip gametes (dry fertilisation) if you want to collect eggs easily. You would need to dilute sperm with 9% saline to extend the volume.

If you want to eggs from a natural spawn, I would use 6 or 8 mm river gravel (rounded - smooth), a 3mm mesh layer to exclude adults then more gravel. I use oyster mesh product in diamond pattern for my mesh. Species only tank, male heavy, not too many spawners at once. Then remove adults after a spawn as they will all eat eggs and newly hatched babies during and after spawning. The spawning tank becomes your hatching and initial rearing tank.

Going slightly off track but in the case of khuli, the mesh layer on a particularly deep gravel bed allows me to keep the adults in the tank continuously. I've no idea of the success rate or how many fish there are but juveniles and semi adults pop up once they are too big to be eaten. Easy low maintenance method of breeding. As khulis are so secretive, keeping a large number ensures I will see some fish at all times. I have an undergravel filter plate that lets me feed decapulated artemia cysts directly to bottom area and I can glimpse baby fish though the glass bottom.
Tank you for the info- and how many day for the egg to make a babies== and by using the hormones do you make you a lot of money.

Jeanne

P.S. A Hobbyist
aquaholic

Post by aquaholic »

I don't understand your first question about days - eggs - babies ? You will need to elaborate. Fish development is temperature related.

The second question is easier to answer. I keep fish strictly for fun but I used to own aquarium shops and used to breed a lot of fish. I still have several hundred tanks which is easy to achieve once you teach yourself to cut glass. In Australia, many fish species can be kept but can't be imported so the only choices are to self smuggle, pay exorbitant prices for someone else to smuggle or breed your own.

Hormone prices here range from $120 (Ovaprim) to $500 (Chorulon) and require a Vet prescription but you can make your own pituitary gland extract or harvest - distil HCG if you have pregnant friends quite cheaply. There are plenty of developing countries that produce fish successfully on very low budgets.

I don't sell any fish. I occasionally
breed what/when I need and feed off excess fish. As I'm constantly trying to breed challenging species, I spend quite a lot of time, effort and money to achieve very little but its more fun than commercially breeding ornamental or food fish.

The actual breeding part is usually the easiest part. Hatching, first feeds and then growout are more demanding.
sturiosoma

Post by sturiosoma »

aquaholic wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 10:09 I don't understand your first question about days - eggs - babies ? You will need to elaborate. Fish development is temperature related.

The second question is easier to answer. I keep fish strictly for fun but I used to own aquarium shops and used to breed a lot of fish. I still have several hundred tanks which is easy to achieve once you teach yourself to cut glass. In Australia, many fish species can be kept but can't be imported so the only choices are to self smuggle, pay exorbitant prices for someone else to smuggle or breed your own.

Hormone prices here range from $120 (Ovaprim) to $500 (Chorulon) and require a Vet prescription but you can make your own pituitary gland extract or harvest - distil HCG if you have pregnant friends quite cheaply. There are plenty of developing countries that produce fish successfully on very low budgets.

I don't sell any fish. I occasionally
breed what/when I need and feed off excess fish. As I'm constantly trying to breed challenging species, I spend quite a lot of time, effort and money to achieve very little but its more fun than commercially breeding ornamental or food fish.

The actual breeding part is usually the easiest part. Hatching, first feeds and then growout are more demanding.
How many days does it take for eggs of dwarf chain loach to hatch?

Jeanne
aquaholic

Post by aquaholic »

Hatching approx 24 hours but not free swimming or ready for food for a few days.

If you have a high powered loupe (30X ~ 60X) or basic microscope,
you will see cell division within an hour.

A practical method is to place several eggs into a container kept in the hatching tank. These eggs are easily monitored and will accurately represent the maturity stages of the remainder of eggs.

Return to “Speak Easy”