Whiptails. Sexing and compatibility

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Phoenix.L
My cats species list: 28 (i:1, k:28)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:53)
My Wishlist: 53
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Troy, NY.
Location 2: USA
Interests: Hiking/climbing, rockhounding, crafting/art, DIY aquarium builds and creating natural aquarium decor, aquascaping/biotopes, freshwater fish keeping and breeding especially catfish, loaches, gobies, and pipefish (all the oddballs)

Whiptails. Sexing and compatibility

Post by Phoenix.L »

I am getting some spoonface whiptails and am wondering if anyone who keeps them might be able to show me a picture of the underside of a male and female so I can see the difference. These should be old enough to sex and they will let me pick which ones I want, would like to see an example to be sure I can tell.
My second question is how peaceful are they in your experience? I have some young Pseudohemiodon apithanos and even adult males are incredibly peaceful and can be housed with other bottom dwellers without picking a fight. I am wondering if, at least while both species are young they would be fine housed together provided the footprint of the tank is big enough to not crowd them.
I would be splitting them up when they get a little older but while they are small enough to be in there comfortably (the Columbian chameleons are around 3” the spoon face around 5”) I would just as soon let them share.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”