L200a temperature and feeding?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Hyhy
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:8)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Skåne
Location 2: Sweden

L200a temperature and feeding?

Post by Hyhy »

Hello all! Long time lurker here, don't know why I didn't register earlier.

Got a hold of a couple of adult L200a plecos, probably 2 males but might post pics later and see what the expertise thinks.

Searched some about how I take the best care of them and came up with very conflicting results regarding what temperature to keep them in, anybody have a conclusive answer? This site, which I trust more than any other, have them tagged as a pleco that likes it slightly colder than pretty much every other site which made me abit confused. Should I trust one great site over the many? :))

I also had some problems with feeding and have not seen them eat much they don't seem to regocnize for example yams,beans and potatoes as viable food, neither pellets. The only thing I have actually seen them eat the 2 weeks ive had them for is a pea+shrimp mix that I buy at the local store. Kinda wish they would take something else since I am not sure if it's a suitable diet long term? They are wild caught so I guess they didn't encounter much veggies in their lives.

Maybe somebody who keeps them successfully could give some input?
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: L200a temperature and feeding?

Post by MarcW »

Welcome!

I always start with courgette and sweet potato, both raw, I peel the sweet potato but not the courgette.

Leave it in overnight, the sweet potato can be left for 2-3 days, but courgette goes mushy if you leave it in too long so I take it out the next day 18 hours or so after putting it in, just cut into chunks and weigh down with a stainless steel fork/spoon.

It may take a few days or even longer for them to recognise it as food.

Good luck!
Hyhy
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:8)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Skåne
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Hyhy »

MarcW wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 09:32 Welcome!

I always start with courgette and sweet potato, both raw, I peel the sweet potato but not the courgette.

Leave it in overnight, the sweet potato can be left for 2-3 days, but courgette goes mushy if you leave it in too long so I take it out the next day 18 hours or so after putting it in, just cut into chunks and weigh down with a stainless steel fork/spoon.

It may take a few days or even longer for them to recognise it as food.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply and welcoming.

That's what I did try, I have other plecos and feed most of them yams on a regular basis and never had a problem it's just these 2 that ignore it. Might try courgette or just keep on with the yams and hope that they will eventually come around.

Do you have any input on what temperature to keep them in?
emanuel
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: Trent (Trento)

Post by emanuel »

Like MarcW, I start with sweet potato and zucchini, the only difference is that to speed up the process, I don't give them raw for the first few weeks, but blanched. I have noticed that they eat sweet potato and zucchini even more willingly if they are blanched. Then when they're used to it and the belly of the L200s has become pretty round, I start giving them raw, I just keep blanching the zucchini, so they sink, unfortunately they float when raw and I don't feel like anchoring them to the bottom of the tank every day with a fork. ..
You could also try blanched and shelled peas, they love them.

As for the temperature, I keep them at 27/28 degrees and I notice regular growth, one of my L200s has gone from 14 to 18 cm at this temperature in 4 months.
sorry for my bad English

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”