Beach sand

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Beach sand

Post by characinkid »

I live not too far from the beach up in the north east USA and walk my dogs on the beach a couple times a week. As I walk on the beaches I see different grades of sand and always think how good they would look in my tanks!
Is there any reason that I would not want to do this?
I would boil it in fresh water for a short time to kill anything alive in the sand before putting it in, but thoughts?
Anyone tried this before?
Thanks for any input.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Beach sand

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
characinkid wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 13:45 ......I see different grades of sand and always think how good they would look in my tanks!
Is there any reason that I would not want to do this?
The two main problems would be:
  • The presence of shell fragments in the sand. It depends on which way the prevailing wind blows etc. but the W. facing beaches of the British Isles and Ireland are largely composed of "shell sand"
  • The second problem would be the legal situation, and you would need an American to tell you what that is. In the UK the sand all belongs to some-one, often "the crown".

cheers Darrel
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would also be worried about contaminants. Do the people with homes by the beach spay chemicals on their lawns or plants which may drift onto the beach? Are there vehicles which patrol or manicure the sand? These spew fumes that settle in the sand. What about garbage or oil spills? And after storms which was away parts of the beach, from where does the replacement sand cone?

On the other hand, my favorite sand is Carib Sea's Torpedo Beach sand. I had a reason to talk to Carib Sea via phone a few years back about something else and I mentioned how much I liked their Torpedo Beach sand. I was told it was collected from a beach in Florida, which is where Carib Sea is headquartered (I believe). I have to think that this sand is safe or Carib Sea would be in trouble.

I cannot say if Carib Sea does anything to the sand they sell to insure it is basically safe to put into tanks. However, they have the in-house ability to do or to afford to have it tested, and, if needed, remediate he sand before they sell it. Ff you collect it from a beach, you have no idea what else is in or on it nor what you might need to do to make it safe.

I rinse my substrate well before using it. One thing I do know is if there are contaminants on substrate or other natural decor, soaking it in warm water often reveals there is something nasty present because you will see something form on the surface of the water. However, this is not fail safe. Further, it is not a good idea to boil wood as that helps to make it break down faster.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

My only concern would be mineral and shell fragments leading to an increase in pH and\or hardness. If you are not worried about that I see no issues. I use sand and gravel from the creek behind my house as substrate.
Florida, California, and Hawaii have laws against taking sand from public beaches as they often truck it in. The Crown Formally gave up all US sand rights back on July 4, 1776. ;-)
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Shane wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 17:32 The Crown Formally gave up all US sand rights back on July 4, 1776. ;-)
-Shane
I'm not saying anything, but it would be fair to say that I most definitely won't be watching the TV on May 6th, when some event involving extremely rich and privileged people is occurring in London.

cheers Darrel
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

In the UK this opinion is not the common, but here, in NL, around 45 % share that opinion, I'm one of them.

Better still, here the owner of the land is entitled to all the sand he can withdraw from it - and while we cannot own bodies of water, we can own the shore
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”