Mysterious death of Hemiancistrus subviridis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Re: Mysterious death of Hemiancistrus subviridis

Post by sturiosoma »

Do you have the ability to check your TDS and if so what is it.

Jeanne
emanuel
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: Trent (Trento)

Post by emanuel »

sturiosoma, sure, the value of the aquarium water or what comes out of the reverse osmosis system?

bekateen, Hello, sorry if I answer only now, but I have had little time in the last few days. First of all thanks for the message.
I had excluded stressful interactions because 3 months ago, when the first H. subiviridis died, it was the only large plecos in the tank, nobody could bother it, because the others were all growing young Hypancistrus. Now with 5 adult Hemiancistrus specimens, obviously there was some struggle, but no one was ever hurt, and each had its own den. Furthermore, plecos are very resistant fish to wounds, a few months ago there was a first attempt at mating between two Hypancistrus L260, it was unsuccessful and the female was completely bitten on the back, she had deep wounds. She spent months in the same den, the tissue grew back and a few weeks ago they had another mating, this time with success. So that a small skirmish for food, without any visible bites or wounds, could cause the death of 3 Hemiancistrus seems to me very unlikely.
It seems almost impossible to me that the cause is the lack of oxygen, I have two aerators and two movement pumps for a total of 8,500 liters per hour on a tank of about 250 liters net. Even water changes and PH has always been normal.
The strange thing is that 3 months ago the first Hemiancistrus died, no other fish died and everything in the tank went well. After a month I bought 5 new Hemiancistrus and of these 5, now three are dead with the same symptoms of the specimen that died three months ago.
sorry for my bad English
Brian2014
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:4, p:54)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Birmingham uk

Post by Brian2014 »

I treated the whole tank! And it depends of what meds you use
1. Seachems Kanaplex 1 spoon for every 5 gallons & i treated everyday for 14 days
2. or if you use 3rd gen yellow powder 2-3 spoons to a 35 gallon tank once a week! for two weeks so two treatments
both meds should come with there own spoons make sure you turn off any u.v or carbon filtration! i still carry out my weekly water change.
As for the api general cure that comes in small packets 1 packet for every 10 gallons
and at the end of the treatment i would add some good bacteria to the tank like evolution aqua pure aquarium or seachems stability to reboost the good bacteria in the filter
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Brian2014, Thank you very much!
So if I understand correctly, for Seachems Kanaplex 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons everyday for 14 days straight, is that correct?
At the moment the last fish with the symptoms (L128) died a few days ago, all the other fish for now seem fine, obviously this could change any moment now, so I was thinking of ordering the drug in the meantime, but don't use it until I see a fish again with the usual symptoms. Do you agree? Or do you advise me to do the treatment anyway?
My aquarium has reached an excellent balance, that's why I don't want to do the treatment unless really necessary. A sick fish requires treatment, but there is currently no one with symptoms.
sorry for my bad English
Hyhy
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:8)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Skåne
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Hyhy »

Any updates?
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I'm afraid to say, but so far it seems all right, no more deaths and no plecos have stopped eating. Although when I feed them, I'm always terrified that one of the plecos will show inappetence. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see that everyone eats heartily.
I have not done any treatment and I have not made any changes in the management of the tank. So everything remains a mystery, also for this reason I'm afraid that one day one of the surviving Hemiancistrus could show the symptoms, which then in a short time will lead him to die.
In short, so far so good, but I'm still afraid, in any case if the symptoms recur, I will try the treatment suggested by Brian2014.
Surely having lost 3 big adult Hemiancistrus was really bad, both financially and also economically, I certainly won't go back to buy more Hemiancistrus, the project to create a reproductive group of H. subviridis will not resume. I'm very sorry, because that was what I had set up this aquarium for, but I just can't do it, also because I haven't understood the reasons, I'm afraid it might happen again.
sorry for my bad English

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”