Hybrids catfish: breeding chance ?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Hybrids catfish: breeding chance ?

Post by kiwidu21 »

Good morning,
I now have for some time, 20 synodontis. When I had them identified here, I was told they were all hybrids. The problem is that they start to really grow and if they continue like that, the tank is going fast and is too small.
Having only a small fishroom, I still have a large tank (about 1400l) intended for the Synodontis granulosus breeding project.
Can I mix them safely?
Are these hybrids fertile?
I have a lot of trouble sexing them because it doesn't look like the genital papillae that we usually see on synodontis so it could be that reproduction is impossible for them?
If possible, is there a way to "sterilize" them?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Hybrids catfish: breeding chance ?

Post by Bas Pels »

mosat hybrids are sterile, However, S granulosus comes from Lake Tanganyica, with quite unusual water parameters. I wonder whehter your hybrids, most likely descending from riverine species, would like that water.

Further I would assume the hybrids would have some influence on your granulosus. I would assume the granulosus would attack them, and I know how mean grnaulosus can be. Futher they might disrupt the hierarchy in the group. Therefore I myself would not combine the groupes.
cats have whiskers
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Re: Hybrids catfish: breeding chance ?

Post by kiwidu21 »

I have no idea of the crossover. Here is the subject with the identification if you ever have any leads....
https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/vie ... 71#p334971

I hadn't thought about the hierarchy and it's true that there seem to be two dominant fish in this group.
For the parameters, not knowing the species of the crosses, I maintain them at 7.5 pH in full rainwater. I noticed that they seemed to do better in water with tannins than in clear water. This may not be the case for the granulosus.

PS: I'm going to import wild specimens for the granulosus, is there a paper that would prove their provenance?

Return to “Speak Easy”