Poor little Corys have split fins - anyone have insights?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cwindram
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Massachusetts, USA

Poor little Corys have split fins - anyone have insights?

Post by cwindram »

I have a very pleasant 20 Gal High tank with 3 Corydoras paleatus (Peppered Catfish), 2 Corydoras aeneus (albinos), 5 Otocinclus, and 1 Pseudopimelodus (maybe bufonius a species of South American Bumblebee Catfish). There is also one female Betta up top. A few live plants are in the tank, some Vallisneria and Microsorium, as well as a bit of Vesicularis (Java Moss) and some additional plastic plants to round out the tank.

The paleatus had recently been moved (3-4 weeks ago) from a larger tank...I wanted to keep them a bit cooler than the large tank, which was at 77 degrees. Then I moved the Corydoras aeneus over about 2 weeks ago, as I noticed the smallest one wasn't growing and in fact had developed a bit of a ragged dorsal fin (the loaches I had in the larger tank always managed to get all of the food, so I thought the Corys might fare better in a quieter environment). The Otocinclus cats are recent additions - 3-4 days ago, and the Pseudopimelodus was brought home yesterday afternoon.

In any case, I now see some fin splitting that wasn't apparent before on 2 of the peppered cats, as well as the Betta. The small albino cat's dorsal is worse than before, too. I'm paranoid that the new additions may have brought some pest into the tank, or maybe the Pseudopimelodus is a bit much for the peaceful Corys - this troll-like catfish hides under a hollow log that I made and "jumps out" at the other cats if they come too close. He's too small to prey on any of the other inhabitants, and I think he's just being territorial. It may be possible that some of the Corys split their fins while startling away from the troll.

To all outward appearances, all of the fish are healthy except for the fin splitting (one Oto is missing an eye, but otherwise appears perfectly healthy), with good color and sheen, plenty of normal activity and feeding behavior...none of the fish currently have any red blotchiness associated with fin rot or bacterial infection...barbels look fine. All of the Corys have grown since being placed in the small tank.

Am I just paranoid? Conditions seem to be fine, but here are my tank parameters:

Temperature: approx 75 farenheit - nice and steady.
pH: 7.0
GH: approx 2.0 (35.8 ppm)
KH: approx 2.0 (35.8 ppm)
Ammonia levels: 0
Nitrate: approx 5 ppm
Nitrite (out of test kit, but fine last time I checked)
Water change: 20-25% once per week - like clockwork. I've not missed a water change.
Substrate: small pea sized and smaller natural round gravel - seems smooth enough.
Filtration: Whisper 20 over-the-side, stock setup with
"bio mesh" and activated carbon.
Tank has been set up since November 18 of 2004, about 7 weeks - it was "seeded" with water from the large aquarium when it was set up. All is well in the large tank, fish and plants are thriving...no signs of trouble.

I know that this is a long winded post, but what the heck...enjoying these fascinating catfish is what it's all about!

Any other forum members have any insights for me? Water too soft maybe? Temperature ok? Pseudopimelodus too grumpy to keep with Corys? Horrible bacterial infestation about to ruin me?

Many thanks,

Chris Windram

Sorry I can't provide any photos of my fish yet - hopefully soon.
Tom2600
Location 1: ENGLAND

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi,

I doubt very much you have anything to worry about. Split fins are common in most fish and will heal very quickly if your tank conditions are good.

Having said that, fins can split due to less favourable water quality. Your tank is still new and will tank 6 months or so to fully mature.

Corys are obviously touching the tank floor and this is the area where most bacteria is, therefore your catfish WILL often be the first to show signs of disease.

I would make sure you doing a 20% water change once a week. Make sure your not over-feeding, and if you are to make sure your catfish get enough food then up the water changes. Two per week of 30% total would be better. I assume you have a substrate as you have live plants. Make sure you syphon this EVERY time you make a water change. This will help your catfish more than anything.

Regards

Tom
cwindram

Post by cwindram »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty scrupulous about water quality, but I appreciate your suggestions. Corys are doing better now...fins healing.
I'm pretty sure now that the Pseudopimelodus bufonius was racing around the tank the first night he was in there, trying to get acclimated, and I think he was startling the Corys, with the result that a few fins got frayed. Things seem to have settled down now.

The decision not to panic was a wise one - I'm grateful for your message because it gave me pause and helped me avoid doing anything drastic like medicating, which certainly would not have been necessary.

I will keep monitoring things...if I really do have Pseudopimelodus bufonis, a larger tank will be in order in the not too distant future, I'm sure, for the sake of the Corys.

<a href="http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ps ... 5_f.php</a>

Best wishes,

Chris Windram
Tom2600

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Chris,

Split fins are very rarely any problem if water quality is good. I'm glad your Corys are on the mend. It definitely sounds like the Pseudopimelodus bufonius could be causing the problems.

All the best

Tom
cwindram

Post by cwindram »

Tom,

Conditions were deteriorating again in the tank...the P. bufonius was doing just peachy, but each morning for the past 2 days, I saw fresh damage to the Corys. Sadly, I have taken the Pseudopimelodus back to the LFS - he was in perfect health, and a bit tricky to catch, but we bagged him without mishap. I should've studied up about this fish before purchasing him.

Now we'll wait & see if things improve for the Corys...I'll post again as soon as I see how the trend is going in the tank.

This was such a cool fish, I'll be considering a species tank just for him in the future, though I typically prefer "community" style tanks with plants & a variety of fish, and two tanks is keeping me plenty busy at the moment.
I do pray that he doesn't end up with another undereducated aquariast.

Best wishes,

Chris Windram
Tom2600

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Chris,

Thats a shame but i'm sure your Corys would thank you for it if they could speak!

Sometimes us fishkeepers learn the hard way, we've all done it. Thankfully you didn't lose any fish.

All the best

Tom
cwindram

Post by cwindram »

Just wanted to post and say that everything is fine now in the 20 gal tank...Cory fins are 100% healed. I miss the troll (Pseudopimelodus bufonis), but perhaps this will be some incentive to do a species tank in the not too distant future.

<a href="www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pseudopi/
pseudopi/955_f.php">www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pseudopi/ ... 5_f.php</a>

Best wishes,

Chris Windram

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”