SCIENTIFIC NAMES

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
MERLIN2
Location 1: London, U.K

SCIENTIFIC NAMES

Post by MERLIN2 »

Quick question

What is the difference between a name classified as cf and sp. I have been looking at the classification of cory C Numbers and some are classified as cf and some sp.

thanks
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The usage of cf. usually means that the species identity is in some doubt. For instance, when I use <i>Corydoras</i> cf. <i>aeneus</i>, this means that I am not 100% sure that the species is <i>C. aeneus</i>, but it strongly resembles <i>C. aeneus</i>.
When I am 100% sure that the species is not <i>C. aeneus</i>, but the resemblance to <i>C. aeneus</i> is still very close, then it is usually referred to as <i>C.</i> aff. <i>aeneus</i>.
The usage of sp. usually refers to the identity of the species being unknown, but there are no known species to which it resembles (otherwise, aff. is used). In many cases, the species may be undescribed.

Heok Hee
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Regarding the C numbers, this was establish by DATZ magazine, the one already responsible for the L-number...
Every unknown, undescribed or which statut is not clearly define is given a C number ( the C stands for Callichthyidae) by the magazine at either the time they print the pics in the mag or at least received it from the explorer or importator.

Cheers

Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

Silurus wrote:The usage of cf. usually means that the species identity is in some doubt. For instance, when I use <i>Corydoras</i> cf. <i>aeneus</i>, this means that I am not 100% sure that the species is <i>C. aeneus</i>, but it strongly resembles <i>C. aeneus</i>.
When I am 100% sure that the species is not <i>C. aeneus</i>, but the resemblance to <i>C. aeneus</i> is still very close, then it is usually referred to as <i>C.</i> aff. <i>aeneus</i>.
The usage of sp. usually refers to the identity of the species being unknown, but there are no known species to which it resembles (otherwise, aff. is used). In many cases, the species may be undescribed.

Heok Hee
Hi Heok Hee,

This is great. have always wondered about all those abbrv.! are there any more? think I've seen ssp before? In a japanese website?

cheers
philtre
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Ssp. would be subspecies. Very few ichthyologists use rankings below the secies level.
The only other abbreviation not mentioned is spp., which is just the abbreviation for species in plural (species is spelled the same for both singular and plural).

Heok Hee
philtre

Post by philtre »

thanks!
:thumbsup:
philtre

Post by philtre »

HH,

sorry to dig up an old thread ... but I've got one more question.

what does it mean when one sp is stated as synonym to another?

according to m-w.com, it also means:
a taxonomic name rejected as being incorrectly applied or incorrect in form

so is that to say that one sp looks similar to the other but at one point of time was "given" the wrong name/ wrong name was used?

thanks!

cheers
phil
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

When two names are said to be synonyms, it usually means that species A and species B were described as seprate species, but someone else later decides that species A and species B actually refer to the same thing. the two species are then considered synonyms, and the older name (let's say species A) is used. Species B is then said to be a junior synonym of species A.
philtre

Post by philtre »

Hi Silurus!

thanks very much again!

cheers
phil

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”