Two different names for L-095?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
smilingSyno
Location 1: Florida, USA
Interests: Synodontis, Corydoras, Hoplos, Plecos etc.

Two different names for L-095?

Post by smilingSyno »

Hi, we got a beatiful pleco last Saturday. Looked him up in the library and they call him Pseudorinelepis genibarbis. At other web sites I found the name Pseudorinelepis pellegrini. At the store we were told he was a Pellegrini Pleco and his L-number was L-095. So I guess Pseudorinelepis genibarbis and Pseudorinelepis pellegrini are the same species. Are they the same and if not how can I tell which one I have?

Here are some pictures of our fish:
http://www12.brinkster.com/mrsfish/pellegrini.html

Also I'd like to know if he's a male or a female. One article I found said that the males have the orange cheeks and the females don't. But if that's true then I have never seen a picture of a female, they all have orange cheeks.

If anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it very much.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 942
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Pseudorinelepis genibarbis is the correct current name, Pseudorinelepis pelligrini is a synonym.

I don't know how to sex them other than by examining the genital papillae.

Jools
gibbo
Location 1: Derbyshire, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping, Photography, Cinema, Crime Literature

Post by gibbo »

That is a very impressive fish Smiler, any idea as to max. size if it isn't full grown already? 8)
smilingSyno
Location 1: Florida, USA
Interests: Synodontis, Corydoras, Hoplos, Plecos etc.

Post by smilingSyno »

Thanks for your replies.
Gibbo, he is now 10 inches long and shouldn't get a whole lot bigger than that. I read that the largest specimen ever found was 35 centimeters (14 inches). Wish we could have gotten a smaller one and watch him grow up but for some reason they said they can only get adults in.

Return to “What is my catfish?”