What is this cat fish?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

What is this cat fish?

Post by SirHelm »

Hi I am reposting.

Can anyone tell me what this catfish is?

Thanks

Sir Helm

Go here for the photos (not very good, but they are all I have right now)

http://community.webshots.com/album/59099861aBQjhp
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

bagrid?

Post by jscoggs27 »

Looks like a bagrid but i'm no expert.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's a juvenile <i>Hemibagrus wyckioides</i> (Asian redtailed catfish).
If you are keeping it with other fishes, you might want to consider moving it to a tank by itself, as they tend to have rather nasty temperaments towards tankmates when adult.

Heok Hee
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

They are supposed to have a nasty attitude toward tank mates. I've heard from someone (Shane?) that one destroyed two larger Ictalurids in a single night. Cool fish though!
SirHelm

Oh Oh

Post by SirHelm »

Really?? I need to do some research on this fish then. So far he is very shy, and doesn't leave his little hollow in the drift wood. I have 2 4" pictus and 1 5" common pleco. Will he hurt them? I also need to find out how big he will get. Cuz right now he is in a 25 gallon tank.

Thanks for your sage input!!

Sir Helm
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Largest recorded size for this species is about 65-70 cm. I figure they will reach about 35-40 cm in an aquarium.
Right now, it will probably leave your other fish alone, but when it gets bigger than its tankmates, it will most probably start to beat them up.
The pleco may be heavily armored enough that it shouldn't suffer too much (torn fins at the worst), but I would get the pims out as soon as I can.

Heok Hee
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Thanks Silirus!

I will get him outta there as soon as I get a larger tank. Aiming for a 55 or 75 gallon as soon as I am "allowed" to. Also I appreciate you replying back to me. I saw your website. Very impressive. Also, if I wanted anyone helping out with ID'ng catfish... it would be you. Your background is amazing. Tho I am still amazed that people can remember all those latin scientific names!!

LOL

Happy New Year

SH
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Okay so I just read the detail description of this species on the cat-elog (finally figured out that it was subdived... LOL... (Biology is not my strong suit).

Couple of questions...

1) If this is a juvenile Hemibagrus Wyckioides does it change color at some point?

2) Could it be a Hemibagrus Wyckii instead?? (only cuz it is black).

Just slap me if I sound like an idiot!

LOL

SH
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Other than maybe becoming a little paler, the color isn't going to change much. There is supposition that the red color of the fins is due to a carotene-rich diet, but this is unsupported.
And no, it is definitely not <i>H. wyckii</i>, as <i>H. wyckii</i> has a flatter head, much darker color, and pale stripes on the upper and lower margins of the caudal fin.
As a note of interest, I have kept three different species of <i>Hemibagrus</i> (<i>H. wyckii</i>, <i>H. wyckioides</i> and <i>H. nemurus</i>), and found them to be all extremely ill-tempered when it comes to tankmates. No other fish would survive in a tank with them (of course, I also didn't keep all three <i>Hemibagrus</i> in the same tank).

Heok Hee
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

LOL...

I read that Hemibgrus Wyckioides is believed to be one of the most ill tempered freshwater fish out there. I can't believe that it is not possible to condition him to live with his tank mates without killing them! I guess biological instinct is too strong. Well I guess he will be getting his own tank!

SH

Return to “What is my catfish?”