What are these 3 Ancistrus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

What are these 3 Ancistrus?

Post by Jools »

All from the Rio Madre de Dios system in Southern Peru, any ideas? If not, I'm just going to put them online as Ancistrus sp. but I thought I'd ask here first?

Jools
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Hmmm, that last picture reminds me of the pair of fish I bought as L89. The fish that I have still looks very much like the juvenile picture in the CatElog, although it's easily over 3" SL. I'll try to get some pictures of the male and female both, this evening. My fish should have come out of Brazil, but I don't have information on where.

Barbie
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

The last two appear to be L089, as Barbie said. But the first one is an ancistrus I have never seen.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The Cat-eLog on L89 says that it's in "Manaus, Brazil", which I take to be either:
here (The moer likely option)
or here.

Madre De Dios in southern peru is not near either of those places, and I would even go as far as saying that there's no continuous waterway from one to the other.

[Apparently, south america is littered with placenames that are either similar or "the same", so it can be difficult to tell which place is meant by just a name of a place, river, etc, but a tie-in with some state/county/region is always helpfull.]

So although the fish LOOKS like L89, it's probably not...

The first one is a real beauty, isn't it? Where can I buy one?

Btw, I hope I didn't offend anyone by checking this up and pointing out the vast distance between the supposed catching places of these two fish.

--
Mats
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I have no problem with it at all, that's why I noted where mine came from, actually ;). I spent quite a bit of time looking at the picture and doing some background searching on L89 first. They may not be collected in anywhere near the same water, but the fish itself really does look nearly identical. I'll try to get some pictures of the 2 I have, later, as I said in the first post.

Barbie
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

and I would even go as far as saying that there's no continuous waterway from one to the other.
Madre de Dios is also the main river shared between Peru and Bolivia that flows into Rio Beni that in turn flows into Rio Mamoré that are one of the tributary's of Rio Madeira that is the biggest tributary to Rio Amazonas, but that is a looong way :wink:

Between, it seams to be more blue eyed plec then we knows about...an Ancistrus with that colour of the eyes could be a hit in the trade.

Janne
Oscar
Location 1: Madrid, Spain
Location 2: Madrid
Interests: catfish, photography

Post by Oscar »

The fish of the third pic it's very similar to this Ancistrus, I buy it as Ancistrus sp. "Maranhao" and probably came from Brasil.

The Ancistrus in the first pic, I´ve seen them beside to this. The fish of my pic weighs around 10cm, but the juvenile fish, around 4 cm, they're equal to the first pic. But the fish I've see, came from Colombia or Venezuela

Regards.
jamos
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:3, p:195)
Location 1: Auckland, New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: fish, sports, fish and fish

Post by jamos »

We have the first species in Australia. We call it orange spot bristlenose. And yes we have no idea what it is either?????

We thought it was a hybrid.....

jamos
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

The above red spot <i>Ancistrus</i> is L110 I think. The picture I posted is a juvenile colouration and it may well lose that colour. I collected one specimen very similar to this in Amazonian peru; I suspect it changes appearance with age. L110 keeps the red spots but they get smaller like the picture above.

BTW, it would be nice to use the two above pictures in the Cat-eLog...

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

BTW, there is a danger here that we can't ID them becuase we restrict them to the drainage they're found in. I mean, we're coming up with very similar fish from elsewhere. I was of the same view with the first picture (the orange barred species) which i though was VERY close to L59.

Jools
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Yes the main problem is L59 is coming from the Rio Puraqequarama near Ourém, so close to the mouth of the Amazon river... basically totally opposite from these, there very little chance that these 2 belongs to the same "species"...

So unless proven opposite, I would considered these as 2 seperate "species", with the Peruvian Ancistrus having no L-number know so far... also there is little Ancistrus species coming from Peru having a L-number, and the ones that have do not look similar to any species shown here...

cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 365
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 226
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

Post by HaakonH »

I have received several shipments of "Ancistrus sp. mixed Peru" during the last couple of years. In every shipment there are a few specimens of the first depicted Ancistrus. All the specimens I have received have been about 5 cm (2"), and in quite poor condition. I don't know which exporter in Peru they come from, as I get them from dealers in Sweden and Denmark. Nonetheless it's a very striking Ancistrus, and apparently it's not extremely rare either.
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Woops, glad you resurrected this thread! I ran down and took a few pictures, but only this one came out. I'm going to have to pull them from the tank to get anything better I think!

Barbie
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: What are these 3 Ancistrus?

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 01 Jul 2005, 09:06Image

All from the Rio Madre de Dios system in Southern Peru, any ideas? If not, I'm just going to put them online as Ancistrus sp. but I thought I'd ask here first?

Jools
This thread popped up to the top of the time heap this morning because a spammer replied to it overnight.

I've removed the spammer and the spam, but now I'm curious about the photos that were in the OP by @Jools. The photos have a planetcatfish URL in a folder called temp. But I don't believe we still use that file structure anymore, since the photo links are all broken.

Jools, are the photos still around? Did they get incorporated into CLOG pages?

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I don't know for sure, I don't have a record of that from 2005. They were from Lance Peck at Go Wild Peru, before it was sold on I think. These will now likely be the ones in the page. And if they were different spp., then maybe one or two of the L5xx Ancistrus sp. from that area.

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

okay thanks. Just curious.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “What is my catfish?”