My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Planet Catfish Announcement: 26 September 2006

Post by Silurus »

All~

Itâ??s nearly the end of September and weâ??ve not seen catfish of the month yet. There have only been a small number of pictures added to the site and no new articles for a while either. The several hundred type localities weâ??ve added arenâ??t immediately obvious and I know from a few emails Iâ??ve received that this has at least some of youâ??re a little concerned. Fear not - thereâ??s nothing more to it than my being on holiday for a few weeks and I write this on the way home.

The CotM for September is now online (26 days late, beating the old late record by 22 days!) and I do hope and plan this past period to be something of a calm before the storm. Iâ??m recharged (well, certainly refuelled at least) and ready to go again. If for no other reason, this is because October 2006 marks the beginning of Planetâ??s 10th year. I began learning how to make basic web pages around September and October 1996 and the first ever catfish of the month was published in November when the site was only a few pages. Reaching 10 years spurs me on and, tentatively I start thinking about the next 10! I am, however, being a little premature, while I was thinking and learning around this time ten years ago, I hadnâ??t published much and Iâ??ve chosen to mark the actual anniversary on the date of the first CotM, 1st November 1996.

Iâ??ve completed the migration of the website onto a fully online database platform that Iâ??ve been talking about for the last few months. I appreciate that now weâ??ve got this in place it might not be immediately apparent as the site content looks and feels about the same but it means weâ??re bang up-to-date rather than using 1990â??s database technology and offline publishing techniques. More work on getting it easier for me to use will undoubtedly speed up the process of adding new pictures, data and, the but that takes all the time, correcting and augmenting existing data.

WaterMart, or new, fully featured auction site has been running for over a month now but not without a number of issues that need looked into â?? something of a success and weâ??re beginning to see it increase in terms of items sold â?? but some teething troubles also mean it will need more attention in October.

If youâ??re anyone of the senders of the approximately 120 emails Iâ??ve got in my inbox, I will be answering each and every one of them (as I always do) in turn â?? thereâ??s some great new stuff for the site in there â?? Iâ??ll get through them in about the next two weeks.

So, sorry September is late, weâ??re back on track for October.

Return to “Site Announcements”