Which Auchenipterids are being kept by PC members?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Daniel, how about all your Tatia juvies?
daniel60
My images: 2
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by daniel60 »

Marc van Arc wrote:Daniel, how about all your Tatia juvies?
Just fine!
The C. concolor(?) juveniles are growing quite slow, and are now maybe 20 mm.
The T. intermedia are already up to 55 mm TL. And last night I saw another clutch of eggs...
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

I'll be getting 3 tomorrow. Not from an LFS, but from a private seller who brought them along from a German wholesaler. Can't wait!
daniel60
My images: 2
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by daniel60 »

Marc van Arc wrote:I'll be getting 3 Ageneiosus vittatus tomorrow. Not from an LFS, but from a private seller who brought them along from a German wholesaler. Can't wait!
Some guys have all the luck! :wink:
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

So here they are. All three still sitting in the bag, acclimatizing.

On the loose. Doing their usual thing...sitting motionless.

One is even trying "how not to be seen".

Very broad head and a slim body. About 10 cms long. These adolescents do need some food!
Great assets.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

tiny Ageneiosus.....are these what used to be called Tympanopleura?

they sure look beyond weird, nice catch!
Valar Morghulis
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

sidguppy wrote:are these what used to be called Tympanopleura?
I see what you mean, but no, these are no Tympanopleura. A. vittatus is an original description. They are indeed tiny - I have kept one light on last night because I was quite scared something would happen to them; do all other woodcats look large all of a sudden - but they should grow to some 25 cms TL. Even then I think there are no fishes in the tank they could gulp away.
At the moment they are the smallest fish in the tank by far. To increase their growth they should obviously eat, which they all happily denied yesterday, although they were covered in bloodworms. That way they were able to meet the other fishes, which don't mind new comers having to eat. The Ageneiosids wouldn't budge.
Weird yes. Stubborn too.
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Hey Marc those are cool at last you have some!
They look fab when they are big.

The new Grokefish!
I found him in the free-ads advertised as big black catfish eats other fish.
This one is a bit smaller and a complete git, I think it's going to need a tank to itself.
Here is a picture in solitary for bad behavior.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Hey Matt,
Great find. See to it that it doesn't eat "some woodcats you've forgotten about" for that would be too bad. Perhaps the piece of wood in the solitary still contains some T. galaxias for instance :wink:
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

I gave many of my woodcats and dorads to my mate including the galaxius and oil catfish as my collection is out of control and I don't want things getting eaten.
I'm gonna try him with my L350 to see how things go because the plec is bigger and pretty agro himself with mabey one of my pair o uarus.
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

The A. vittatus finally found out they had to do something to obtain food. I thought they were rather skinny, so I decided to feed abundantly. All the other woodcats had a great time. The T. fisheri ladies looked like wooden barrels at a certain point....
Luckily the Ageneiosids know what to do by now. Be quick and gulp away as much as they can. I wasn't used to shy Ageneiosids with regard to feeding. But then, my first species (A. magoi) was larger and they had a magnificent head start: the first night the three of them ate my 5 red rainbow females and 2 males....
Alyx
Location 1: Alaska
Interests: fish, snakes, woodworking

I've procured a few hiders myself, and lookin 4 more

Post by Alyx »

I've been scrounging around trying to get the pet store to order me in some more Raphael-style cats... I started off in 1993 with 4 of them, 2 Agamyxis Pectinfrons and 2 Platydorus Costatus, only 1 of which is still alive today (are these things really SUPPOSED to live to be 14 years old?)
he's almost 8 inches long now!! but I got tired of him living by himself so I put 2 more Pectinfrons
and 1 Acanthodoras Cataphractus in with him (the striped talking cat with spotted fins)

Sorry, I'm kinda new at this forum thing I don't know how to paste the URL in so you can link up to their article here on PCat.

I'm also getting frustrated with my local pet store because they couldn't locate more than one Cataphractus (I had asked for 3 striped Raph's and they sent one cataphractus instead)... so now I'm looking for at least 2 more of these
I also want to get at least 3 of each of Anadoras Grypus (no common name?) and 4 Jaguar cats (Liosomadoras Oncinus)

I've located the Jag cats (3 inch specimens) and am a little worried without pix they might send the false Jag (morrowi) instead...
but they have no idea what a Grypus is, or the Cataphractus...
to avoid paying 4 different shipping allotments I'd like to get all the fish I need in one place...

does anyone know where I might be able to find a reliable supplier who actually has a WIDE variety of talking/raphael type cats?
Marc van Arc
Expert

Re: I've procured a few hiders myself, and lookin 4 more

Post by Marc van Arc »

Alyx wrote: I've located the Jag cats (3 inch specimens) and am a little worried without pix they might send the false Jag (morrowi) instead...
I would have some faith regarding this. The colour pattern should easily give both species away or tell them apart, even at 3".

I also think you should make a new (seperate) post of your message, because this thread is about Auchenipterids and not about Doradids. Thus making it hard to find for people who might help you out.
Perhaps you thought the Liosomadoras actually was a Doradid? Don't worry, untill recently even many scientists thought so.

All the best with your hunt for nice Doradids.
CFC
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: London, England
Interests: Angling, cookery, predatory fish

Post by CFC »

:( Two Ageneiosus marmoratus can be removed from my list, yet again i have lost them to what seems to be some kind of Agenieosus plague. They eat like pigs for months and grow nice and fat but then for no reasons i can see they start to get blood streaked fins and a pink hue to the body and die within a few days, this is the 3rd lot i have lost in exactly the same manner, the first being a pair of A.brevifilis and the second a pair of A.magoi.

I give up with them for now, i just cant stand losing them.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

This is really too bad, so let's try to find some things out here:
- how is/are your A. polystictus doing?
- were they in the same tank?
- your description sounds like a bacterial infection. Did they feed on live (gold-)fish and if so were these from a good source?
- do your other predatory cats get the same food?
- I take it the C. fowleri is in a different tank?
Sorry for this load of questions, but perhaps it'll lead to something.
CFC
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: London, England
Interests: Angling, cookery, predatory fish

Post by CFC »

The polysticus is doing fine, but i bought this one as a large adult from another fishkeeper. It is in a different tank as it would have eaten the much smaller marmoratus.

I dont feed any of my fish live food with the exception of the Chaca which is fed on home bred snakeheads, i've never even had a goldfish in my fishroom.

All my fish get fed a diet of prawns, whitebait and mussel which is bought from the local fishmongers and is all intended for human consumption.

Oh yes! The fowleri is in another tank(im not actually sure what species it is to be honest, it was bought cheaply as C.nigricaudus but has exceeded the fishbase listed size for that species and C.apurensis which only leaves fowleri or an unidentified species), that fish is an absolute beast which can only just be trusted with fish much larger than itself and just as aggressive.

Bacterial septicemia is my diagnosis too, but two small (8cm) peacock bass and a zebra carapo knife fish that share the same grow out tank are healthy and unaffected (the Ageneiosus were the last fish added to the tank), as were previous fish sharing with my other deceased Ageneiosids which has left me stumped as to why this keeps happening to them. This last pair has been in my fishroom since September last year and up until 5 nights ago were healthy feeding well and had trippled in size to about 15cm.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

I would be looking at the mussels myself.
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

I'm at a loss here. I have no experience with mussels, so I have no idea whether or not they can be blamed.
Carapos may be grumpy sometimes and it might have been possible that biting wounds got infected, but 3 times??
Sorry, but it seems I'm not able to offer any help in this case.
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

Mussels can have nasty bacteria in them which may not be bad for us but could have an effect on a fish which is wild caught and has never evolved to eat them. Humans have been eating them for a long time.
grokefish

Lima shovel noses a quandry

Post by grokefish »

Why is one of my limas growing at a rediculously fast rate while the other two are not?
oops wrong place can someone delete this please?
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

CFC wrote:they start to get blood streaked fins and a pink hue to the body and die within a few days
CFC,
Have a look at today's picture of . Is that what you mean with the above statement?

Btw: I know London is pretty big, but Wholesale Aquatics stocks Auchenipterichthys longimanus :shock:
Might that be a good replacement?
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

Hey CFC I don't know if you have seen it but there is a trachyorystes in wharf aquatics the size of a loaf o bread! and at £235! blumin eck! He's cool, there are also smaller ones and also some woodcats called decoradiatus or something like that they were brown and white paterned and swimming around happily, I think they may have been exilis.
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

grokefish wrote:also some woodcats called decoradiatus or something like that they were brown and white paterned and swimming around happily, I think they may have been exilis.
Talking of which: one by one my dithers (Danio rerio) disappeared from that tank. First I blamed the A. coracoideus, which had outgrown the tank and were placed in the large tank yesterday.
But to my surprise the T. exilis were the culprits for I actually saw one grab a poor Danio! I never thought these docile fish would do so :shock:
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

During our trip to the UK we visited Pier's at Wigan. It was very hard to choose from all the unusual catfishes he had in stock. Finally I chose the 5 Trachelyopterus sp. The owner of the shop, Neil, made the choice a little easier by offering all 5 for a very nice price, to say the least.
Here are 2 pictures:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/ ... G_1104.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/ ... G_1108.jpg

At first I was afraid they were Trachycorystes, but Neill said he was sure they weren't the same. Moreover they lack both the folds in the skin that house the upper barbels and the protruding lower jaw.
However, they struggled fiercely to conquer hiding places - which were of course already occupied - and there was a lot of grunting and groaning for some time. Don't forget these fish had been in a box for almost 24 hours! You'd think they would be more timid. Not! There are still all kinds of noises to be heard while I type this.
I'm quite confident this is not going to be a disaster like the one with the Trachycorystes, but I wouldn't mind everything to calm down and settle.
The above made it fairly obvious that I don't know the exact species, so for the time being I'll stick to Trachelyopterus sp.(3?). If anyone has another suggestion, I'd like to hear it. I'll end this message with a picture of the head. Lovely, isn't it?
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/ ... G_1107.jpg
Last edited by Marc van Arc on 28 Feb 2007, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

Oooo.. they look like trachycorystes to me....
but I'm no expert.
Talking of trachycorystes I think you may have been unlucky with yours or I have been lucky with mine.
The new grokefish is fairly peacefull he/she sometimes has little barneys with the false jaguars, which you can hear upstairs in bed at night, but nothing is dead or injured. I think it is a case of the tank size and hidey hole distribution. This one is growing really fast. He's bordering on 8"-10" already and is a greedy little pig.
He is now in my biggest tank with uarus, colombian tetras, silverdollars, megladoras, the false jaguars, two striped doras an oxydoras and various loricarids.
Oh and he loves to eat crickets.
Nice looking fish Marc, looks like a breeding project to me!
Last edited by grokefish on 28 Feb 2007, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
grahams
Location 1: northampton
Interests: tanganykan cats and cichlids

Auchenipterids

Post by grahams »

Hi RichardB,

I have been browsing through this thread and have read your earlier input about Lisamadorus Oncinus.
I hadn't realised Gavin was interested in breeding them,but guess who has them on their stocklist at the moment.I declined to order any as they were labelled as"Customers risk",i.e.If they arrive dead,tough luck.
Now we will see perhaps how serious he was about it.

For anyone who doesn't know who I am talking about,Gavin is the guy who bred the S granulosus last year,and he does his breeding work for wholesalers Neil Hardy Aquatics of Carshalton, Surrey.

I hope I am staying within the rules by naming them,but no doubt the mods will censor it and tick me off if I`m not.
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

Done part of it, but I don't know how to delete a post.
Check this out anyway.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=524
Personally I think some of it is wrong as you may have already guessed esp. the stuff about hemibagrus thats a crock (sorry Matt) however it's nice to see some unusual cats covered in the main stream.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 942
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Marc van Arc wrote:
grokefish wrote:Done part of it, but I don't know how to delete a post.
Well, now that you mention it...
There used to be an X (for deletion) next to the edit button.
Moderators, how do we delete a post pls?

Correction: there IS an X, but apparently only in one's last post.
So, how do we delete an older post pls?
If you are logged in as a mod, there is an "X" button on each post. Although I don't really like deleting posts, I prefer to split or move them.

Jools
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Hi Graham S. (& everyone else)

L.Oncinus have suddenly become quite available, as far as i know Wildwoods have them, as do BAS, & a couple of others. Gavin was looking to attempt breeding of L.Oncinus & perhaps S.Angelicus amongst others - we'll have to wait & see....
grokefish

Post by grokefish »

Yes I noticed that I wonder if my persistant whineing had anything to do with it?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”