Using pictures in signature

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Using pictures in signature

Post by Silurus »

Jools,

What is the maximum size allowed for a picture to show up in the post (either in the message body or in the signature).
I have scanned a picture of that rockin' catfish I told you about and want to try using it in my signature.

Heok Hee
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

At this point, there is no size limit, but that will change as soon as I find a way.

Just enclose it in img tags like this: [*img]http://www.sample.com/foo.jpg[*/img] The *'s are just to prevent the forum from interpreting the tags. Remember to remove them.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Rusty,

I tried a test post, and all I got what a broken image link. However, the picture was kind of big, so I'll resize it tomorrow and try.

Heok Hee
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Rusty,

Just tried again and it works. But the picture is WAAY too big, so I'll still need to resize it.

Heok Hee
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 229
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

In the olden days, we used to get our point across just fine without animated emoticons, megapixel sigs and the like. I actually think these things are the junk food of contemporary communication. They take away from meaningful discourse rather than adding to it.

Dinyar
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Dinyar,

The point you make above assumes that all forms of modern communication are "meaningful discourse". I would hope that much in this forum is suitably meaningful. I would also hope there is a lot of informal nonsense the like of which you would get amongst friends visiting each others fishrooms or dealers.

When I'm working in front of customers I wear a pinstripe suit, when I work on Planet Catfish I (mostly) wear a pair of baggy trousers with lots of pockets and whatever top came out of the drawer first. You probably don't want to know this, but I'm writing this in my pyjamas. Signatures and avatars are the pinstripe suits or baggy jeans of online life, they do add to the communication flow.

I find it hard to justify asking folks to specify where they are from in the world etc. and not allow them other forms of expression via avatars etc.

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”