The hybrid Syno thread

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Goodroad
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: CA
Location 2: Winnetka
Interests: Dwarf mbunas
Dwarf synodontis

Re: The hybrid Syno thread

Post by Goodroad »

Re: nigirita..
thank u.. but I need more explanation

A natural color variant
A farm made color variant

After several generations of breeding
The gold comes out....
There are no other species involved...?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

A natural color variant
A farm made color variant

In this case it is Xanthism (An animal which is yellow or golden in color. This may happen in nature or through selective breeding.)They will still have dark eyes...so similar to Albino which everyone knows.
The nigrita has been spawned for awhile by fish farms, their eggs are numbered very high so to get these mutants is not uncommon. Then it is just a question of line breeding.I have seen a number of different species of synos with the yellowish coloration, it is not something to get excited about. Dont see dollar signs if you ever come across it.
Birger
Goodroad
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: CA
Location 2: Winnetka
Interests: Dwarf mbunas
Dwarf synodontis

Post by Goodroad »

Thanks Birger...
Wer u the one who spoke in Sacramento about synodontis?
nillwatson532
Location 1: United States
Location 2: USA

Post by nillwatson532 »

Hybrids have though, in my more recent experience, become far more varied in types, & of a better "quality" that is to say they are getting far closer to genuine species.

EG we have seen hybrid decora with branched maxillary barbels & multi hybrids almost identical save for a few black flecks in the white section of the dorsal.

I suspect there are starting to be many species crossed to create hybrids, that weren't crossed before but also that hybrids are being crossed with genuine species & perhaps hybrid type 1 with hybrid type 3 to create further variants.

In order to educate people where possible & compliment cat-e-log i will try & post some of the things i see in this thread & would encourage anyone with hybrid examples to do the same.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Smitten by the beautiful 'hybrid'

Post by naturalart »

Got completely taken by this beautiful hybrid? In the store I was trying to turn it into a S. camelopardalis. But after getting it home, I found it harder and harder to do that. I thought to post this on the "hybrid syno thread" but just wondering if there's a vague chance this might just be a 'true' species. If anyone has a opinion please feel free to say so. If there is no definitive counter argument, I guess it can go into the beautiful hybrid pile.
Attachments
Syn.hybrid4.1-23.jpg
Syn.hybrid2.1-23.jpg
Syn.hybrid1.1-23.jpg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Smitten by the beautiful 'hybrid'

Post by Jools »

It is very pretty. However, the curved dorsal spine gives it away. Certainly does not have a high dorsal fin and the size of the eye in your fish is striking too.

Now, I really am guessing, but I'd say crossed with another hybrid like .

Jools
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Yes, I can see that as a possibility. I also couldn't deny the steep basioccipital hump and the very uniform fin patterns which were more like bands than circles. Luckily I paid $8.00 for it so it was a gamble worth taking. It'll make a good pet for someone.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

For someone? Are you meaning to gift or resale it?

I can't say I've ever seen a syno like this but I am syno-challenged when it comes to anything other than the most common ones in the trade. What size and age is it? I wonder if this is a juvi pattern and if it will evolve. In some genuine synos, like eupterus, but especially in hybrids the pattern seems to evolve significantly all throughout their lifespan.

Ignorant me is also surprised a bit by the beautiful and intricate patterns on the finnage - something I thought was a rare or never in hybrids; in any case, the fin patterns seem usually crude in the most common hybrids.

Pretty fish for $8 that leads to interesting questions and new learning. Only a reality-detached idealist could ask for more, no?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

I totally agree Viktor. I did think about the pattern/morphology changing over time. We know so little about some of these species. Whose to say its not a juvenile form of something else? Right now its a hybrid in my thinking. But maybe someone with more experience than me can make a convincing argument otherwise, I'm open.

I'll keep it for a bit, but if it doesn't come up as a 'real' species, I'll probable end up finding it a loving home.

Return to “African Catfishes”