Phyllonemus typus locational information

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: Phyllonemus typus locational information

Post by sidguppy »

typus, brieni and obscurus is a perfect mix!
:thumbsup:

just make sure youdon't buy small cichlids

as Birger said; the typus is sneaky.

if say,the tiger shovelnose would eat prey with the same body-prey size ratio as the typus; any regular tanksized TSN (2-3 feet) would eat adult Oscars...... :shock:
they can and do feed on fish 1/3 their own length; if it's a slim fish (like brieni) they can tackle half.....I've seen 10 cm/4" typus feed on fully grown Poecilia salvatoris.
Valar Morghulis
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

The typus are still very small. they are F1's which were bred by a guy locally. They have small tankmates currently (1-1.25") telmatochromis who are temperary but are producing fry for them to snack on.

The brieni I am ordering and teh Obscurus will be 1.25-1.5" each with the typus being 1.75" to MAYBE 2" total length.

I really cannot wait for the obscurus to come, and more brieni will complete the school (have 3 adults right now)
What's your favorite Dressing~~
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

wich species of Telmatochromis doyou have?

because if it's a smaller one,you don't even have to remove it either.

unless it's bourgeoni or temporalis; these look a fair bit like obscurus in size and coloration, so the species might squabble

but if it's a stripey one (brichardi, vittatus, zambia sp Shell) it could stay without issues.
Valar Morghulis
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

sidguppy wrote:wich species of Telmatochromis doyou have?

because if it's a smaller one,you don't even have to remove it either.

unless it's bourgeoni or temporalis; these look a fair bit like obscurus in size and coloration, so the species might squabble

but if it's a stripey one (brichardi, vittatus, zambia sp Shell) it could stay without issues.
Its temporalis shell, will also have telmatochromis brichardi soon as well. When they come, I will more than likely move out the temporalis shells and place the t. brichardi in their place and have the shells go to a smaller breedign tank.

my typus are doing great.. they are coming out and feeding regularly, occasionaly see them out during lights on, but like i said, occasionally I see them out as in the tails flailing to get back to hiding lol.
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

Just an update, they are putting on some size, some of them are pushing 2.5-3" TL.. I saw one the other day that I thought may have a mouth ful, ended up it ate a brineshrimp pellet... LOL.. oh well.. here is a link to some of my pictures (all fish pictures,)
http://www.cich lids.com/browse/user/tango.html

just make sure to remove the space in there.

and a video to my typus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzOXpHZ6vHU

(mod... I couldn't get the little in post video box to show up.. if you can edit it to do that it would be great!)
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

another update! THey have been leaving my cichlid fry alone (what a bummer!!) so this morning I was clearing out all my walteri (along with fry) and I scared a female typus into spitting out eggs!! I stopped, hoping she'd pick them back up, but my paracyps came along and ate them (thought maybe they'd try to mouthbrood them first, then noticed them spitting them out and then sucking them back up and then they were gone!!) ohwell, I know I have A female... Also, I noticed one of the main barbels on one looks like it was smooshed and doesn't work like the others. It is still extremely active and eats just fine, but I was wondering if this is something that can/will heal , or is that barbel just going to be done for this particular catfish?

-Nate
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I picked up a small Tanganyikan catfish from Aquajardin in FairOak this week, which had been there unlabelled for at least a month. Until the manager came along, we all thought it was a "wood catfish" sharing a tank with the likes of Steatocranus tinanti, Ctenopoma acutirostre and Synodontis nigriventris.

But apparently it was a Tanganyikan and after looking at the species profiles for the lake on here I think it is either a Phyllonemus typus or a Lophiobagrus brevispinis... Hopefully not a toxic mucus secreting Lophiobagrus cyclurus! @-)
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Yahdah
Location 1: AZ
Location 2: Phoenix

Post by Yahdah »

nvcichlids are you still keeping phyllonemus typus catfish?

Return to “African Catfishes”