Synodontis eupterus lifespan

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
PinkButterfly
Location 2: USA

Synodontis eupterus lifespan

Post by PinkButterfly »

Hello! New to the board. I have a Synodontis eupterus that is now 24 years old! He/she now has cataracts but still very active - does not hesitate to bully its way to the top or bottom for food. :lol:

I believe this is an unusually long lifespan. I bought it in 1986 at about 2-2 1/2 inches. I remember the year exactly because I worked in the pet shop where I purchased it. I bought a home and set up my first 125-gal. aquarium that same year.

My Synodontis is my pride and joy. Everyone always comments on how long I have had it. :D
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Synodontis eupterus lifespan

Post by MatsP »

They do live for a fair number of years, and 20+ is not very unusual - obviously, during more than 20 years, there are a lot of potential for accidents (jumping out, filters stop working and other such things that CAN kill fish). But given the right care and lack of bad luck combination, they can be expected to live for at least 20 years, and I'd not be surprised if they can reach into the 30's with a bit of luck. Most people tend to think of fish that live for a year or two - they should live a fair bit longer than that, if they are well cared for, and catfish generally are quite long-lived - small fish like corys can live for at least 10-15 years - of course, just like humans don't all live to 100 years, not all fish reach the "very old" age, but corys I would expect to live at least 5-7 years, Synos generally a fair bit longer, and large plecos I would also expect to live for about 20-30 years.

--
Mats
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

many Mochokids are in for the long haul.

I have Mochokiella (a tiny Mochokid resembling a fat mini syno) and 2 of the last 4 were also baught in the '80's; spring 1986

until a year or so, my mate had my last nigriventris. he kept that fish for more than 15 years, but before that time I had it.
it was the last survivor of a group I bought in may 1984 when I graduated and Marc and I went to Belgium on his old motorbike (a 1976 Honda 550 CB four)......the fish were transported home under my shirt :lol:

Verduijns even passed that with their famous granny.
that one died 2 years ago or so; but it had been imported as an adult Syno in 1973.....the first granulosus ever in the Netherlands and back then also the most expensive fish.

if your Syno was 2" or so, it would have been at least 1 year old, wich makes it at least 25 years old.
a respectable age for any hobby fish and also a prime example of a good cared for pet.

many Syno's can and do live for a long time.
Valar Morghulis
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

wow, mine are still babies then, i got them in 2007.

can we see pictures of yours? :D wow 25 yrs old. :thumbsup:
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

andywoolloo wrote:wow, mine are still babies then, i got them in 2007.

can we see pictures of yours? :D wow 25 yrs old. :thumbsup:
Hope this works. Has always been hard to get a good pic of, or it could be the photographer. :D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6 ... 1496851592

Let me share an amazing story about this catfish. Several years ago, we had an ice storm and were without power for two weeks. Needless to say, the house and aquarium were frigid. I don't remember how cold the aquarium got, but every fish including the Synodontis went into *suspended animation.* I had no other options at the time of housing them (including xlg Silver Dollars and Red Hooks) elsewhere or heating the tank, as we only had portable heaters and had to leave for work during the day. Anyway, when the power came back on, I allowed the tank to warm up over several days/week using only the room's temperature. When the temp finally got into the low 70s, I plugged the heaters back up. I did not lose one fish. So, I guess the Silver Dollars and Red Hooks that are the Syno's tank mates are surviors, too. Just wanted to share. :D
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

PinkButterfly, I have heard that most Synodontis species can live, on average, about 25 years--which goes along with what Mats said. Keep us on PlanetCatfish updated from time to time regarding your Syno. If it lives to 30+ years, that would be valuable info for us. My 3 large S. angelica are all around 15 years old. So, I figure I should get around 10 more good years out of them before it's time for a dirt nap. Gotta get my stock tank ready to try breeding them!

BTW, that's crazy about the ice storms and power outtage you experienced. Where in the US do you live? I don't think we have ever been without power for more than 6 hours in my neck of the woods. The worst that I can remember was the huge power outtage in the northeast back in 2003:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

I was cleaning one of my rich client's tanks when the power went out. This tank was built into the wall and I was in a little room behind the tank in order to access it to perform maintenence. When the power went out, the only way that I was able to see and find my way out was that there was a window in the main room and the light was shining into the tank and lighting up the maintenence room a little. Luckily, the tap water was still running so I finished the water change and then hit the road for one of the most chaotic driving experiences I have ever had in NJ--there were no traffic lights on anywhere and the PM rush hour was just beginning. What was normally a 15 minute ride home turned into an hour, at least. But even then, the power was back on after around 3-4 hours.

Anyway, keep us posted at least once a year as to the status of your "elderly" Syno!
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

Scleropages wrote:Where in the US do you live?
Actually, I live in the deep South in a rural area. Snow/ice shuts us down, but we do know how to play in it. :D Ever ski behind a four-wheeler? :lol:

That particular ice storm brought down numerous trees and branches, and it was two weeks before the clean up crew and power company got us back up and running.

Anyway, keep us posted at least once a year as to the status of your "elderly" Syno!
Will do! I have a brand new camera, so hope to post a much better pic and perhaps a belly shot so everyone here can help me sex my Syno.
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

Post by Tom »

I have a brichardi and a decorus both bought in 1980. Both are still going strong.

Take care,
Tom
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

New picture! I don't know how many I took, but I gave up and this is the best. 25 years and still going strong! :D
Attachments
syno1.jpg
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

Just an update to let everyone interested know that my Syno is now 27 years old and still going! :-BD
Pleco Lover
Interests: plecos,synos

Post by Pleco Lover »

PinkButterfly wrote:Just an update to let everyone interested know that my Syno is now 27 years old and still going! :-BD
:-O wow 27 years,congrats!!
unblinded
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

It's encouraging to know how long these guys can live with proper care. This is one of the reasons I was able to talk my wife into letting me buy 2 syno granulosa. I've also got an Euptera I've had since 2007.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Maccus
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Southern VT.

Post by Maccus »

Oldest synodontis I've heard of yet was 27 yrs old( possibly the one in this thread). My older Synodontis Eupterus trio is around 18-20 yrs old. I can only estimate because I don't recall exactly when I got them.

My synodontis are named after mountains such as; Killington, Mansfield, Stratton, Glastenbury.
It's kinda symbolic, since I got into backpacking and I decided having this big tank and slowly building it up is like "climbing a mountain".
Maybe I could say the same thing about breeding the synos since they've been a tease and never bred. My hopes are on Glastenbury, who is one of the younger trio of females right now, as she tends to get gravid on a regular basis. Then again, Glastenbury is the one I thought was a hybrid.

I didn't name them for years as I often did not name groups of fish that looked alike. I decided if you have your fish that long, they need names and I can usually tell them all apart.
I need good pics of mine, all the ones I have so dark. Doesn't help that even f I put a light on over the tank, they swim into the darkness.
Last edited by Maccus on 20 Nov 2011, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
redfan
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Boston, U.K.

Post by redfan »

Really nice to read this thread I look forward to bonding and housing my Jaguars, Cuckoo's (hopefully) and my LDA33 for this kind of time :)

Thanks for cheering me up :)
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

Congrats! Thanks for keeping us updated.
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

I decided if you have your fish that long, they need names and I can usually tell them all apart. I need good pics of mine, all the ones I have so dark. Doesn't help that even f I put a light on over the tank, they swim into the darkness.
I have tried and tried to get a photo good enough to show to help sex my Syno. As old as he/she, it's very active unless in it's favorite log and I can never get a still picture.

People have asked me what I've done that would have allowed this Syno to live so long. I guess my *trick* would be that it has lived in a 125-gal aquarium with only three now xlg Silver Dollars and four Red Hooks. I vary their diet greatly with a lot of plant-based foods for the Silver Dollars and Red Hooks. The Syno has always eaten anything. The tank has an external canister filter that I only change 2-3 a year. Also, twice a year I use an old Diatom filter to vacuum the gravel just like you would vacuum your carpet, but never close to the same time I rinse out the canister filter. Dirt goes in filter, clean water returned back to tank. That's it except 25% partial water changes every four months and topping the tank off from evaporation. I always sit and feed them until they slow down eating so as to not overfeed, which takes a while to fill up Dollars and Hooks! :)) Mine are quite beefy! I think I've established a well-balanced ecosystem that has worked for all these years. I have several other tanks and raise Africian Clawed frogs so not new at this. :ymblushing:
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

unblinded wrote:It's encouraging to know how long these guys can live with proper care. This is one of the reasons I was able to talk my wife into letting me buy 2 syno granulosa. I've also got an Euptera I've had since 2007.
I have thoroughly enjoyed mine and so proud to have him/her still. If I had to guess, I think I have a female. Just a feeling... :d

I hope you have yours for years and years to come.
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

Scleropages wrote:Congrats! Thanks for keeping us updated.
Thank you! May post a new pic soon.
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

Tom wrote:I have a brichardi and a decorus both bought in 1980. Both are still going strong.

Take care,
Tom
:-BD Congratulations! I hope mine lives to see 30 at least.
Maccus
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Southern VT.

Post by Maccus »

Mine have had the whole range of care.
Once I separated from my parents and didn't drive there for four months. I would probably have stayed away longer if it wasn't for the catfish.
I've had my share of accidents and mistakes with this tank too. Such as last spring when I had an ammonia problem due to adding a new canister filter.
Then there's been times I spoiled them, heaping special care on them trying to get them to breed ( they never did).

Overall, I'd say the tank size( 150 gal) helped. I think if I had over-filtered the tank earlier on, they'd be in better shape now. But back when I bought the tank, I lost so much money, I started the tank believe it or not with a filter rated for a thirty gal tank.
It's been frustrating that despite having the best setup *cough cough huge canister filter....that I've ever had for them, I've been having more problems then I've ever had with them. At least in the past, they showed interest in spawning.
simon g
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Oxfordshire

Post by simon g »

I have a Synodontis Eupterus here in the UK that is nearly 28 years old. It has survived living in 1 inch of water after my tank seal failed (until I returned home from work), aswell as our thatched cottage being completely destroyed by fire one night in 2005 (a fireman rescued "Kevin" the following day using a biscuit tin).Surely the most hardy type of catfish!
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

2012 update! My Syno has reached 28 years of age! :-BD She (?) still rules the tank, too! :))
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

simon g wrote:I have a Synodontis Eupterus here in the UK that is nearly 28 years old. It has survived living in 1 inch of water after my tank seal failed (until I returned home from work), aswell as our thatched cottage being completely destroyed by fire one night in 2005 (a fireman rescued "Kevin" the following day using a biscuit tin).Surely the most hardy type of catfish!
Wow! What a story of a truly remarkable Syno!! :-BD
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

What a story, indeed. What some of these old catfish have gone through is remarkable. 28 years old. Wow! Keep up the good work. :YMPARTY:
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

=(( It is with great sadness that I post this. I watched in horror Christmas day as my 28-year-old Syno died. I noticed the day before she was just cruising slowly on the bottom and not bullying her tank mates as usual. She nibbled at a little food that day, too. Other than that little change in behavior she looked fine. So, on Christmas day I checked on her at the exact moment she trembled as if having a seizure and it was over that quick. I still look at the tank expecting to see her. I guess her heart finally gave out. She had a long life and I feel like I've lost a longtime friend.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Really sorry to hear about this happening.

You had given this fish a long and wonderful life and it was a great example of what decent care can do.

Birger
Birger
unblinded
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

Wow, so sorry to hear this. When you have one for almost 30 years you have a different level of attachment. I still can't believe it.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

My condolences for your loss. At 28+ years, that catfish sure had a good run!
PinkButterfly

Post by PinkButterfly »

Thank you, Everyone. I'm still numb about it. I guess I thought she'd live forever, silly me. Her death was so quick and unexpected I guess it blindsided me. One minute I'm looking at her and the next she shivered as if shocked and was gone.

28+ years was a good run (we estimated she was a year old when I got her by size). I hope to hear of others having the same attachment and long life of their Synodontis.

I guess the best thing to help with the grief is find another baby and grow old(er) together. :)
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

I'm sorry for your loss, but you took the words right out of my mouth; why not celebrate/memorialize your syno by purchasing a group of youngsters? It would definitely take your mind off the grief, and extend your and our knowledge about this species. My 2¢

Return to “African Catfishes”