My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks, guys, for the feedback and the interest in our humble project. It's been 4 months and I am being reminded it is time for an update.

Mostly, I have been busy working on reinforcing the center support wall with lots more 2x4's, anchoring the wall to the slab, installing support 1/2" EMT pipes at each center point to prevent bending, and heavily reinforcing the end walls with 8" round poles 12'-25' (~4'-5' in the ground) and some 6x6's too... all according to the engineer's specs. Right now working on the last item in the list - 75% done with that. Then, lastly, anchoring cables and... time for a final structural inspection by the municipal Building Code staff.

If there are any builders out there reading this, I am sure they are having a good hearty laugh at my "Jimmy rigging" :))
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 29 Jan 2013, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_4691.JPG
100_4692.JPG
100_4693.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_4697.JPG
100_4698.JPG
100_4701.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

A bit more fun pics. Our bougainvilleas bloom the most in dry season:
Attachments
bougainvillea -1.JPG
bougainvillea -2.JPG
bougainvillea -3.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
koi.JPG
Lil' gator.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

Wow Viktor, it's coming along nicely. Cograts and good job with all the progress you've made. I know, from spending the last year building a fish house, it seems like you'll never get done. Congrats and keep it up. :-BD
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

Viktor, looking good. I hope the inspectors give/gave you the thumbs up. Make sure you keep plenty of rabbits or chickens on hand for when that 'gator gets a little bigger. :animals-bunny:
Arahant
Location 2: Canada

Post by Arahant »

Hey Viktor,

I joined this site just to reply to this article. Just want to say WOW and job well done! I know its not over yet and there is still work ahead, but good on you for sticking to it. The time was condensed for me reading in about 15 minutes whats taken you about a year and a half! But its been obvious to me the stress and responsibility that has been on you to finish what you set out to do, its stuff like this that is a test of one's character, it shows us who we are and what we are capable of doing. Reading your posts have been an inspiration for me as i know it has been for many others, some of which have posted here aswell, but many who like me are(was) just passing through.

I'v always been of the mindset that the true path to wealth is creating your own business, or the best path anyways, be your own boss, create something that resonates with you, have people eventually work for you rather then you work for someone else, thats just my opinion. I often think about all sorts of businesses that i could make and research them, and i was researching making a public(open to the public) aquarium like your doing which is what lead me here. I really appreciated seeing what you've gone through, your thoughts and revelations, and sharing the costs with us involved which i find alot of people tend to leave out on the web.

I like everything you've done so far, my opinion would be to focus on the aquariums and fish as the main attraction to your business rather then some of the suggestions to serve food and drink and just use the aquariums to create a nice environment. I think serving food and drink too is a good idea as you will need to maximize your revenue streams in anyway you can, but places where you can go to eat and drink are EVERYWHERE, and are pretty much the most saturated industry to make a business, whereas public/private aquariums are less so, even though your in florida where i understand there is alot of aquariums.

I think you said earlier that you wanted to focus on education as a way to make your exibit more interesting and i think thats a great idea. I think a big demograph that you should target is family groups with young children, so consider maby having a shallow aqaurium where children could pet some fish that would be suitable for that. Where i live in Canada, a popular chain fish store have a large tank in each store with a small black tip shark, and they feed it every tuesday at a certain time which they use to draw in customers. If your going to have some large fish, using feeding time almost like a "show" could be a good way to attract people in. This may seem common sense but i figured id mention it.

Anyways i hope your still around its been a few months since your last post, would love to get an update from you. Good luck in your en devours.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks all. Thanks much Arahant for your helpful, heartfelt words. If you keep fish, it'd be great if you stuck around.

Yes, we do plan to focus on education... after all, almost no layman can pronounce our name... "IchthyoPark - where Education begins with the name... or where we give Aquaculture a fresh meaning" :)

The fish selection and the focus IMO and from my research should be unique - the biggest freshwater fish from all 5 continents.

And, no, there are no Public Aquaria in our neck of the woods, at least in the 1.5-2.5 h driving radius. Not that we are a major Aquarium, just a tiniest of the start-ups.

Hope to cover the fish house soon and then will update and post pics, if God's willing.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Phixer
Location 2: Colorado

Post by Phixer »

Viktor, did you ever get the information you wanted regarding aquarium construction? The sealant you were looking for to seal the acrylic viewing windows to the frame is Dow 795. I normally build tanks over 1000 gallons and might be able to answer any questions you may have. I probably wont check the message board very often so feel free to email me if you or anyone else would like to know how its done.
penny5h
Location 2: Picayune, MS

Post by penny5h »

Hey, was just checking on you! Any new information on your status or photos you could share. I have printed out your posts, just so I can flip through them with ease. Asked my husband if he could build me something like this and he just rolled his eyes.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hey Penny, I appreciate your faith. It's been a long time coming. I am not far away from an update with pics, stand by. I would have already done it if I was not down for Feb and Mar with three successive lower back disk herniations. Same happened last Mar and Apr. Lots of doubts... but still relearning the joys of walking upright and starting to slowly limp ahead with construction...

Funny stuff with you and your hubby. Swapping the genders, it's like looking in the mirror... with my wife and I :)

I had exchanged informative PM's and emails with Phixer too and he ok'ed to post his input here. So this awaits too.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Phixer wrote:Viktor, did you ever get the information you wanted regarding aquarium construction? The sealant you were looking for to seal the acrylic viewing windows to the frame is Dow 795. I normally build tanks over 1000 gallons and might be able to answer any questions you may have. I probably wont check the message board very often so feel free to email me if you or anyone else would like to know how its done.
Hi Phixer! Thanks much for your post and the info! No, IDK what this sealant is and I will read up on it. So, you are saying you use it to seal what to what? Acrylic pane to raw concrete or sealed concrete... or sealed wood or rubber liner, or fiberglass, or stainless steel, etc.? Plus the concrete and wood sealants are many and vary greatly in their properties... And what about glass panes?

For now I have just gone with ten 240 gal glass tanks from GlassCages and with two 4500 gal fiberglass tanks with 8'x4'x2.5" acrylic windows made by Dolphin Fiberglass out of Homestead, FL. Have not dared yet to make my own exhibit, except for a koi pond. Have not had the time anyway.

I have been mulling over a 25'x25'x8' exhibit, EPDM rubber liner with glass or acrylic windows as a next-step project. Just afraid to have problems down the road as we are a 1.0-1.5 man show. Some things better be outsourced, if at all possible. If I start having leaking tanks, I'd struggle much with the rest of the duties to keep the place going. And I am in no position to throw money at problems. Our Aquarium and Fish Rescue is a "DIY" kind of a venture. My wife and I are doing it all on what we have saved together, having no sponsors, no borrowing, no mortgage, no business loans, etc.

Do you do things like that for hire? I mean you'd lead and I'd help and learn along, as one option, if it was affordable to me.

###############################################################

Hi Viktor. Dow 795 can be used to seal the acrylic panels directly to the concrete or fiberglass. In other words, a bead of it is applied around the perimeter of the acrylic window and the window is pressed into place in the same manner plywood tanks are made. I used to live in San Diego and would visit the Scripps Institute of Oceanography on the weekends, I studied their tanks closely and spoke with them on many occasions, this is how their tanks are sealed. All are made using acrylic windows and Dow 795 sealant.

I would use fiberglass or concrete tanks with acrylic windows. The tanks at Scripps are both, all are coated with a swimming pool marine epoxy on the inside. UV light, however, will make this coating brittle over time.
How will you be supporting the weight of the viewing windows? If you can try not to have the weight of the window supported by the sealant. Use acrylic blocks at the base of the window to support the weight. The hydrostatic pressure of the water will create a water tight seal. The acrylic will cost a little more up front but if the aquariums will be open to the public acrylic is much safer as it will not fail catastrophically like glass.

If you were to build this way I think you would have minimal if any leaks.

###########################################################

Hi Sam! Thank you for the info!

S: Dow 795 can be used to seal the acrylic panels directly to the concrete or fiberglass. In other words a bead of it is applied around the perimeter of the acrylic window and the window is pressed into place in the same manner plywood tanks are made.
V: I thought that usually the window is sealed against a surface that's already coated=sealed with a waterproof coating, eliminating the crack between the window sealant and the waterproof coating of the wall. In other words, there is an overlap of waterproofed surfaces. So, I must surmise that you are saying that Dow 795 is placed between a clean acrylic window and a coated wall, not raw concrete, fiberglass, or any other raw non-waterproof material, right?

S: I would use fiberglass or concrete tanks with acrylic windows. The tanks at Scripps are both, all are coated with a swimming pool marine epoxy on the inside. UV light, however, will make this coating brittle over time.
V: Good to know. So, Dow 795 will be in contact with this marine epoxy, not concrete or fiberglass...... On concrete: some professional aquaria builders professed to me in my conversations with them that a concrete tank cannot be sealed so that it does not leak. The most it will last is a year or so and then the water will start seeping through. That's why I was thinking liner, as in e.g. air | tank structural wall | rubber liner | concrete (to protect and hide the liner) | water - that type of a cross-section.

S: How will you be supporting the weight of the viewing windows? If you can try not to have the weight of the window supported by the sealant. Use acrylic blocks at the base of the window to support the weight. The hydrostatic pressure of the water will create a water tight seal.
V: There'd be a window sill. Or a stainless steel frame that would hold the rubber liner and the window (with a sealant in between them if one is needed) together. No, I'd never let the window hang on the sealant - that'd be a shady construction.

S: The acrylic will cost a little more up front but if the aquariums will be open to the public acrylic is much safer as it will not fail catastrophically like glass.
V: True but the price difference is not a little, I'd think... from the little that I know. 1.5 years ago when my 4500 tanks have been made, I paid $8000 per each 8'x4'x2.5" acrylic sheet. Nowadays, it is significantly more expensive and it keeps climbing like 10x more steeply than an average inflation rate. I have not priced a comparably strong piece of glass (I understand it will be much, much heavier too). Are you able to provide a point of comparison for a sheet of this or comparable size?

S: If you were to build this way I think you would have minimal if any leaks.
V: Is it normal for a Public Aquarium tanks to have minimal (what's that? a mL a day? a gallon an hour?), or non-zero leaks? I thought they build so as to have no leaks whatsoever, for a long period at least.

########################################################

Hi Viktor, ... In no particular order here... It would be hard to tell if a concrete swimming pool is leaking or if the reduction in water quantity is due to evaporation. How would one quantify or verify this unless the leak was pretty bad and one could see it with dye. I can see that due to the size of a swimming pool cracks may happen over time and the water may leak out from there. Leaks in any amount should never be accepted for aquaria kept indoors though. Materials such as Blue Max remain flexible to my understanding and would seal all but the largest cracks, polyurea also, I’m not sure what material or size concrete pool they are working with. UV, Chlorine and ozone will degrade most sealants over time though.

Yes, depending how you build your tanks fiberglass or concrete, Dow 795 will stick to acrylic and marine epoxy, I'm not sure about the liquid rubber stuff if you choose to go that route. If you are using a fiberglass or concrete tank with a marine epoxy top coat, Dow 795 will adhere fine to it and the acrylic, in addition to the pressure of the water pushing against it will create a good seal. Be advised though, when you perform water changes you lower the water level and this will reduce the amount of hydrostatic pressure on the panel. Theoretically over time this process of pressure fluctuation may weaken the seal.

Holy cow Viktor! :-O they charged you 8K per sheet for 4x8ft 2.5" material? I hope you make a note never to use that vendor again. (VJ EDIT: This is what I was told by the manufacturer - Dolphin Fiberglass. I don't think I have way of knowing what exactly they paid for the acrylic but Jack Broyl looks to me an honest and nice gentleman.) That is entirely too much money. Polycast GP and Reynolds R cast are considered the best in the industry and they cost nothing close to that. To give an example, I bought (9) 4 x 8ft sheets of 2.250" thick Polycast GP for about $1800 per sheet 6 months ago from Piedmont Plastics. I bought two 6x10ft sheets of 1.25" thick material for about 3K in 2006. Acrylic pricing fluctuates wildly between vendors. Port Plastics is OK, Piedmont Plastics is good (not LV branch, poor customer service). Colorado branch is good. Reynolds Polymer is expensive but decent IMO. I consider Reynolds to be somewhat like Apple. Good stuff but unique. I believe the weight of each panel/sheet is on the Spartech website, I think each 4x8ft panel/sheet of the 2.250 stuff is around 500lbs. Finding glass this thick would be difficult, I would never use glass for this application and would not recommend glass for large tanks. Glass is good for smaller tanks. It weighs too much and is not as safe as acrylic. Many other reasons not to use glass, those are just two.

In terms of leakage. There is no acceptable allowance for leakage for aquariums if constructed by a professional. Here is how I see it, I would never degrade the quality of any of my tanks by cutting costs thru the use of an inferior grade or thinner acrylic. Im a craftsman similar to a fine hardwood furniture maker and my reputation is much more important to me than making a buck and producing a tank that bows like the bags fish come in or crazes in a few years. Some folks are ok with that as long as the tank is huge. I dont build that way. Quality must always be #1 above all else. Most acrylic tanks I see mass produced and many custom tanks made today are similar to a Yugo IMHO. Each of my tanks are heavy, very heavy all sides the same thickness and are built like Abrams Tank with the quality of a Rolls Royce, one at a time. They do cost more but there is nothing better. Back to leaks...leaks will never get better they will only get worse. No leakage should ever be allowed in any size tank if dealing with a professional.

Hope this helps Viktor, publish it if you think it will help others and feel free to ask more questions, I'll try my best to answer. It's how we advance our hobby.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Update Mar 31 2014. This phase took well over a year and a heavy toll on my health but half of the latter was due to land clearing and other work and maintenance of the property.

The Fish House is ready for the next step - covering by the 95% shade cloth and by specialty plastic.

It's a kind of a shameless "Jimmy rigging" approach to building... but we did pass our final structural inspection (by the municipality) with flying colors.
Attachments
100_5044.JPG
100_5044-1.JPG
100_5044-2.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 01 Apr 2014, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5046.JPG
100_5047.JPG
100_5048.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5049.JPG
100_5050.JPG
100_5052.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5053.JPG
100_5055.JPG
100_5058.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5059.JPG
100_5064.JPG
100_5065.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5066.JPG
100_5067.JPG
100_5067-1.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5068.JPG
100_5069.JPG
100_5070.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5071.JPG
100_5072.JPG
100_5073.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5074.JPG
100_5075.JPG
100_5076.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5079.JPG
100_5080.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Update May 9 2014: 64'x94' 95% Shade cloth is up. Fixed permanently on the top and temporarily on the fish house sides - will need to play with more or less shade and more or less rain protection and more or less ventilation, etc. as we go.

Plastic next.
Attachments
100_5136.JPG
100_5134.JPG
100_5132.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 09 May 2014, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5171.JPG
100_5170.JPG
100_5169.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5175.JPG
100_5174.JPG
100_5173.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
100_5178.JPG
100_5177.JPG
100_5176.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

... Temporary 1500-2000 gal koi pond. A bunch of others also cats in the 3' deep hole in the middle. Can't see them of course.
Attachments
Koi 8.JPG
Koi 7.JPG
Koi 6.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
Koi 3.JPG
Koi 2.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

... Our neighbors breed peacocks and let them roam around the neighborhood in the wild. They never stray far but do get killed sometimes by bobcats and Florida panthers at night.

We get to enjoy the fruit of their labor of love (of our neighbors' that is :) ), it's the mating season now:
Attachments
Peacock 7.JPG
Peacock 5.JPG
Peacock 2.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 09 May 2014, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Tank Talk”