Need information: Synodinitis arbiliniata

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Need information: Synodinitis arbiliniata

Post by Richard B »

2 is the worst number to have. It'll do ok as a single but 3 or more would also work. If mixing species / hybrid types you'll need at least 3 separate 'types'.

This doesn't apply to nigiri entries or contrata where any number but more the merrier will work
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Jester946
Location 2: AZ

Post by Jester946 »

Thank you for the information Richard.

So my larger tank is fairly new. All of my water parameters are great, and have been stable.

I've had a recent diatom outbreak, and its on my life plants.

Will my synodontis eat this stuff? I have noticed he's been hanging out on my live plants, which is cool, he hasn't damaged any leaves..I'm guessing he's eating this stuff, or no?
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Likely it will get eaten as synos eat pretty much anything & can be quite greedy
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Jester946
Location 2: AZ

Post by Jester946 »

901136_10201142136418224_963328810_o.jpg
Hey Richard, at bit of an update.

I broke down my cichlid tank; I wasn't happy with the stock, and with the turn out. The diatoms never let up either.

I broke it down, sold the fish, and held onto one: my hybrid syno. He did just fine in my QT tank with some shrimp and german blue rams...

I finally set the tank back up, and moved him into it this morning. By the way; I haven't seen him, at all, in the mean time. Except when I "dig deep" (break a tank down...) do I find him. I have no idea if he's eating, well, he must be, he's still alive. I never did pickup another couple syno for three total, I don't want them to breed, at all.

Here's a pic of the tank he went into...
o2bad455
Location 1: Montreal
Location 2: Quebec

Post by o2bad455 »

Sqeakers are rare where I am right now, but after a year of searching we finally found this little guy (about 1-inch) at our LFS. We only got one so far, but they have (or at least had) a couple more so we're thinking about going back for those too to give him some company. But now we're wondering whether or not they're hybrids.

Although the tank at our LFS was labeled Synodontis ARBILineatus (similar to this thread, hence the revival), I didn't notice the apparent misspelling of the name until after we brought this one home and introduced it to the tank (that is, I'd misread it as S. albolineatus at the LFS). I haven't been able to get any better pics than the 2nd attached pic since there are too many good places for it to hide in our 90-gal.

He looks to me like many online pics of Synodontis albolineatus with a short somewhat lateral wavy white line plus vertical lines, but not much like the original S. albolineatus (similar to S. tessmanni) with just a long straight lateral white line (and no vertical lines). But he looks closer to the Cat-elog pics of S. ornatipinnis, which although a beautiful fish, grows to the enormous size of over 15 inches! Yikes! (say the Guppies).

In a previous life, I raised Mbuna in a 55-gal with with a few rift lake Sqeakers that I'd picked up as babies. Those grew to about 8-9 inches which was okay with the cichlids. Although those Squeakers never did breed, the Mbuna sure did! But even that size Squeaker would be a bit much for the Guppies in our current 90-gal tank. So I'd picked this up because I believed he'd be limited to about 4.5 inches (per what I'd read for S. albolineatus). Was I mistaken as to species, and therefore possibly as to maximum size?

Or can anyone tell me if this is more likely a true S. albolineatus, another true species, or a hybrid? If it's a hybrid, S. sp_hybrid(9)? I haven't seen him swim upside down at all yet, but he's obviously still young so that could change.
Attachments
20220625_173000.jpg
20220625_220416.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi o2bad455,

Welcome to Planetcatfish! As for your syno, better photos would confirm, but I suspect you have the hybrid, .

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “African Catfishes”