My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

March 2015: Switching off tapatalk support

Post by Jools »

All,

With the redesign of the site to a responsive design, it should now work reasonably well on smartphones, tablets and desktop and laptop computers. As such, there is little benefit remaining on the mobile forum platform tapatalk. However, to stay on tapatalk we need to apply regular security updates and every page is a little slower and heavier in terms of web server CPU usage. It doesn't come "for free".

Also, a number of highly customised PlanetCatfish features (e.g. clog links) do not work, and will not ever work, with tapatalk.

Statistics also show us that the majority of tapatalk users post once which is likely a result of the slightly easier forum registration model. It is expected newer releases of the PHPBB forum software will include easy registration using facebook, google+ or other 3rd party forms of online passports. Hence another reason for removal.

So, the plan is to back out tapatalk support in the next few weeks. Happy to discuss any issues with this and look at workarounds / support.

Cheers,

Jools
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

Personally, I'll miss this.

I often catch up on new posts on the forum during my commute, and the format of tapatalk is much more phone-friendly than the website version. It's also easier to view recent unread topics than on the website.

I think I would use the forum less if it was unavailable via tapatalk. I also think my usage of the forum would be more focused on my own specific interests and I would be less likely to read a wide variety of posts. This would be a shame as I would not be broadening my knowledge so much and discovering new branches of the hobby or fish species that interest me.

Having said that, some developments on tapatalk itself recently have annoyed me, so I am using it less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Further to my post above and having had a play around, I note that on my PC with Firefox, there is an option to show 'unread posts' in the 'quick links' menu.
On my phone with Safari, this option does not appear, so there is no easy way of viewing all new unread posts.
Of course in Tapatalk it is easy to view unread posts, new posts, threads in which I have participated etc.

Cheers,
Paul

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: March 2015: Switching off tapatalk support

Post by Silurus »

Mol_PMB wrote:On my phone with Safari, this option does not appear, so there is no easy way of viewing all new unread posts.
There used to be a "View New Posts" option on the forum homepage. This was lost in the last phpBB upgrade.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

There used to be a "View New Posts" option on the forum homepage. This was lost in the last phpBB upgrade.
If this is to what you refer, they are in the Quick Links drop box.
quick links.JPG
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

That's the problem. They are on that drop-down menu when viewed on my PC, but not when on my phone. See attached pic. Is this a safari compatibility issue?
Paul
Attachments
image.jpg
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Mol_PMB wrote:Is this a safari compatibility issue?
That option will appear once you have logged into the forum (your screenshot shows that you have not logged in).
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Thanks - you're right. It took me a while to find it though because once I had logged in, the 'quick links' itself disappeared, to be replaced with a few tiny horizontal bars (see pic).

That removes my main objection to switching off tapatalk support.

However, I still find it much less convenient to view the forum on my phone, and will probably use the forum less as a consequence (perhaps you'll think that's a good thing!). One of the difficulties is that on an iPhone screen, many of the links on the pages are too close together (relative to finger size) so it's hard to hit the right one. I'm forever having to zoom in and back out, which is a much less user-friendly browsing experience.

I really appreciate the hard work you guys do to provide this forum, so please don't see this as a moan.

Thanks,
Paul
Attachments
image.jpg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197

Post by Jools »

Mol_PMB wrote:Thanks - you're right. It took me a while to find it though because once I had logged in, the 'quick links' itself disappeared, to be replaced with a few tiny horizontal bars (see pic).
Yes, the text takes up too much space on a small screen, so it goes and only the standard "hamburger" icon (three horizontal bars) remains to indicate some links are present.
Mol_PMB wrote:However, I still find it much less convenient to view the forum on my phone, and will probably use the forum less as a consequence (perhaps you'll think that's a good thing!). One of the difficulties is that on an iPhone screen, many of the links on the pages are too close together (relative to finger size) so it's hard to hit the right one. I'm forever having to zoom in and back out, which is a much less user-friendly browsing experience.
Anyone using the forum less is not a good thing, however, the majority of tapatalk users typically don't really interact with the site for a long time. They tend to post a single question, get some answers and don't come back (83%). You are a happy / great exception!

We're able to make links farther apart on smaller screens, but it's a trade off against screen size and scrolling. Can you give me a specific example where they are hard for you to use? Also, what specific iPhone handset too, so I can replicate it exactly and see if anything can be done.

Cheers,

Jools
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Thanks Jools for your helpful response. Don't spend too much time on it if I'm in such a minority.

I'm using an iPhone 4S.

The main content of the page is a good size, but I find some of the navigation and menus are too small.
The 'hamburger' you mention is tiny and immediately adjacent to other links, so it's hard to use, and the drop-down menu it produces is also rather too closely spaced.
Another example is when a thread has run to several pages and I want to navigate to the next page - those numbers are very small and close together so I have to zoom in to get the one I want.

Best Regards,
Paul

racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

It's a shame to lose this functionality, but I can understand the reasoning.

On the tablet I too much prefer the Tapatalk interface over the browser options. However, 99% of my forum use is via my desktop/laptop, and I only use the tablet occasionally when on the move.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

racoll wrote:It's a shame to lose this functionality, but I can understand the reasoning.

On the tablet I too much prefer the Tapatalk interface over the browser options. However, 99% of my forum use is via my desktop/laptop, and I only use the tablet occasionally when on the move.
I'd agree with Rupert here, shame but I use it on the phone a very limited amount and find myself having to switch to Safari anyway to look up clog details etc.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Will this apply to AquaticRepublic too Jools?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197

Post by Jools »

Martin S wrote:Will this apply to AquaticRepublic too Jools?
I don't know is the answer, I've not looked at the stats. Probably yes, but I am not sure as yet.

Jools
Aquaticus
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:38)
Location 1: Middleton, Wisconsin
Location 2: United States

Post by Aquaticus »

I'll miss this a lot. Reading now on Tapatalk.

Return to “Site Announcements”