Adding A Second Spawning Report

For the discussion, definition and tracking of new features to the site.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Adding A Second Spawning Report

Post by Jools »

Good suggestions!
bekateen wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 20:52The latter is probably too difficult to program, but would save users time if things like tank size, etc., didn't change and they're just saying that the same group of fish spawned again in the same tank.
This wouldn't be that hard too do but I want to avoid as much as I can. It's just duplicating data and is what the multiple spawning dates are for.

I will keep it in mind the checkbox "copy forward" idea as I do the second bit, but most of the data could be different, so I am not sure. It would also encourage [some] folks to just propagate old data which is not good. I would like to promote the provision of new, quality data in all this.

Bear in mind also that the data for a second blog is meant to be different, if you make it too easy to replicate blogs, then folks might get confused between "I want to add another spawn event for that tank/population" and "I spawned another population in another tank".

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 21:15 It would also encourage [some] folks to just propagate old data which is not good. I would like to promote the provision of new, quality data in all this.

Bear in mind also that the data for a second blog is meant to be different, if you make it too easy to replicate blogs, then folks might get confused between "I want to add another spawn event for that tank/population" and "I spawned another population in another tank".

Jools
All true. Giving them a blank slate and getting them to input a full set of up-to-date data each time would improve odds that they don't neglect to update all details.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
aaatropicalfish
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:22)
My Wishlist: 8
Spotted: 22
Location 1: Northern California
Location 2: USA

Post by aaatropicalfish »

As a long-time lurker, the BLOG information is incredibly valuable, and those of us in the community focused on breeding are grateful for the efforts to include more reports.

Thanks!

Travis
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Love a lurker! :-) Thanks Travis.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Some progress. The "further spawning dates" feature is up and running, just cleared quite a lot of testing, so I hope it's pretty much complete without bugs that I can think of.

This is meant to be used for recording multiple spawning events with the same population / aquarium.

Cheers,

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

bekateen wrote: 14 Sep 2015, 18:56Perhaps it could be more than simply multiple dates?
bekateen wrote: 14 Sep 2015, 18:56Can multiple spawning reports be handled in a fashion similar to the way that multiple populations are handled in the Registered Keepers? Thus just as a person can click on the "Add to My Cats" cats link to create a new population, perhaps there could be a "Create a BLOG report" link which is kept separate from other pre-existing BLOGs for the same user for the same species?
I'm looking at this now. What I am trying to avoid is near copies of existing reports but I don't necessarily want to restrict the new BLOG to have to be from a different "my aquarium" record. Having a look into how this might work...

Jools

Return to “Suggestions, Feature Requests and Enhancements”