Photo tank recommendations? (upcoming trip to Borneo)

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Photo tank recommendations? (upcoming trip to Borneo)

Post by panaque »

Does anyone know where in UK/EU I might be able to purchase a small photo tank for use in the field?
I'll be returning to North Kalimantan (Borneo) in January (see http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 26&t=41570) and I'd like to be able to document the fish diversity a bit better this time.
I won't be needing it in Tarakan fish market...
barramundi.jpg
but I would like to be able to take better pictures of the small stuff in the rain forest...
small fry.jpg
(Rasbora cf. sumatrana and Systomus sealei, I think)
BomNya
Location 1: NYC
Location 2: USA

Re: Photo tank recommendations? (upcoming trip to Borneo)

Post by BomNya »

They are fairly easy to make. Just think up the dimensions you want, and have someone at a hardware store or glass store cut it,or to save money, just cut it yourself using a cheap glass cutter. All you need is a glass cutter, clear silicone sealant, and glass. This page has dimensions for making one: http://silurus.ansp.org/ACSI/corresp/di ... _tips.html

One addition to the conventional photo boxes that I do, is add an extra sheet of glass with a small 1" slat added horizontally towards the top so as to make a platform for dorso-ventrally flattened fishes. below you can see this catfish sitting on that edge I am talking about:

Also carrying wooden clothespins will help keep the center glass piece in place to free up one hand for the camera and one for coercing the fish into the spot you need with a stick.

I would absolutely love it if you took some live photos of Garra!! We just described a new species from Northern Borneo, based on older museum specimens, but I suspect live photos may help us tease apart more of the G. borneensis complex.

Good luck!
panaque

Post by panaque »

Many thanks for the link and the tips! I think I saw some Garra hanging out with the Gastromyzon last year. Unfortunately, overnight rain turned the knee-deep clear water stream into a raging brown torrent several meters deep before I could catch and photograph any. I'll make sure to grab my chances if the river is low this time!
ClearSky57
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Post by ClearSky57 »

What about, using the same hardware store scenario.....having them cut some clear plexiglass , similar dimensions as your glass cage, but much lighter, won't break and although will scratch, if you slip a piece of newsprint between sheets and slip the whole thing into a large zip lock bag it will travel ok in your bags.
you can buy a small tube of silicone to glue it when you get there. Now I realize silicone isn't the proper glue for sealing plastic, it will seal for your purposes, and simply bring a bun h of rubber bands to wrap around the vessel as it is drying,and for that matter you could leave them on for structural support.
if you want the actual glue that bonds with plastics and acrylics, there is several products on the market, one brand, "welbond" makes acrylic cement that comes in a tube or small can. I would be inclined to have all my materials purchased beforehand and simply pack it in my suitcase, and put it together when I got there.
you could always leave it with someone there when you were done.
that's my take on it
good luck
cheers
david
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Hamsters- ... aQodI_kC1Q

they nest so you can take several. You don't have to worry about assembly, They are light, and even if they crack they still only leak slowly so you would still be able to use them.
panaque

Post by panaque »

Here's what I put together from bits I had lying around. It won't win any awards for craftsmanship but it holds water, is see-through, and fits nicely in a sandwich box. Off to Borneo tomorrow. I'll report when I get back.
image.jpg
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Quite late to respond, I carry two photo tanks these days.

One for fish up to 4 inches TL.

The second one for fishes up to 6 inches.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Also late to this thread. I buy tanks in the states from an outfit called glasscages.com. They offer something called starfire glass which is clearer than the normal glass used for tanks. You can see it here http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=58

I am pretty sure they could ship to the UK but you would need to contact them. The will make a container or sell you the glass to make your own.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
panaque

Post by panaque »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I got on quite well with the little tank I made. We found more than 30 species, including some interesting catfish. I will post a report in a separate thread once I have my photos organised, hopefull in the next few days. I was lucky to have a professional photographer on hand some of the time...
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

? I look forward to seeing them!

Cheers,

Jools
panaque

Post by panaque »

Jools wrote:? I look forward to seeing them
Yep. Two species thereof...

Return to “Travellers note book”