Which part of the world are you from?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.

Where are you from?

North America
40%
Europe
44%
Asia
6%
South America
2%
Africa
1%
Australia/New Zealand
8%

Total votes: 1643

polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Which part of the world are you from?

Post by polkadot »

Just finding out where the majority of us are from....
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

This may prove my "law of catfish keeper distribution" theory which is roughly:

The total number of catfish keepers in any given area is inversely proportionate to the number of individual catfish occuring in the wild in that area.

:razz:

Jools
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Then shouldn't there be a heck of lot of catfish keepers in Australia and Antarctica? :wink:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What about all those ACLF (Australian Catfish and Loach Forum) people ?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Australia has very interesting catfish fauna, so I think it holds true. Antartica is a bit tricky unless I re-word the theory...

The percentage of catfish keepers amongst the aquarist population in any given area is inversely proportionate to the percentage of individual catfish species occuring in the wild in that area (versus other aquarium fish).
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Jools (and others),
I agree with your "law" for the most part. It also follows that the farther you get from the ocean, the more marine aquarists you will find. That said, ther are to other large factors. First of all, Europeans tend to be fluent in many languages with Asians coming in second. In the Third World (read South America and Africa esp.) there are not so many English speakers. Also, it has to do with access to resources. The average YEARLY income in Colombia is around US $2,500. Down here that might get you a second hand computer but you would still have to pay US $30 per month for internet access. With an average wage of $52 a week, over half of your salary would go towards your internet bill. So, just to join the forum, you would have to save 100% of your wages for a year and then dedicate most of your salary to pay the internet fees. Don't ever forget how good some of us have it.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bogus
Location 1: Adelaide, South Australia

Post by bogus »

:) G'day Mate. Don't go pickin on "The Land DownUnder".
Regards Bogus...
asgard
Location 1: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by asgard »

Umm... wasn't too sure which of those options available I'd fall under so I'll just post here; I live in New Zealand :)

We're surrounded by the sea! Alas all the fish I like, are from South America ;)
Zeb A.
Pl*costomus Beginner
http://www.asgard.gen.nz
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I've added an option for our friends down under...

Jools
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi I am from central England . Only keeping stingrays comes close to keeping catfish. In the 18yrs of keeping fish I must have had or sold nearly every variety of cat available but still look forward to seing new deliverys hoping to find something that little bit special.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

There are 96 signed up members that have not given there location. That more than 25% of the total membership. :(

I would apreciate knowing where the people I am talking to come from, Your country will do.

Ian
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

USA, Colorado, Colorado Springs to be exact. About as far as you can get from the ocean at 6500 feet ASL(kind of intersted in the way fish behave up here, 2 clicks above sea level, seem fine, even discus). Catfish are actually abundant, within driving range, but only in 2 or 3 varieties, and at that large, ravenous(fish for them with cow liver that's not quite expired, but not what you'd feed to people), and not particularly pretty. Other fish are trout, and suckerfish(carp of some sort I believe were introduced), and I can catch pumpkin seed/blue gill in a pond about half a mile from my house... private property owned by a dairy that use to own the land my house is on, but has lately started bringing the milk in, rather than raising in a highly desirable real estate area. I may go fishing there some time, always ran down the creek that runs to it as a kid, a massive forest of some sort of willow and cat tails, a place where the dirt is so loose you can sled down without snow, and if you pay attention, a wealth of fossils.

Jools, I'd have to argue your theory, outside of the tropics it seems most catfish are "big, dumb, and ugly", at least to me. Of course I've been heard to call banjo cats "hard pieces of dog poo rolled flat"... And in the tropics fishkeeping seems to be either much less reported, or less common. That's from friends from the UK to the phillipenes and just about everywhere in between.
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Hi,
I think, there would be many more forum users from German speaking countries (Switzerland, Austria, Germany, ...), if there wouldn´t be such a lot of German aquaristik forums yet, even some special catfish-forums (e.g. http://www.l-welse.com. , http://www.welse.net , yahoo catfish-mailinglist, ...).
Besides ist´s rather difficult for us, even impossible for many catfish keepers, to discuss in English language ;) , probably for many Scandinavian Users ist´s not so easy either.

What I would like to know, are there any other interesting special catfish-fori in English speaking www too? Or good catfishsites? (I know this site here for years, scotcat and Schaefer´s and Armbrusters sites).
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

As far as i know, there are not many sites that deal with catfish in general other than those you mentioned (Isn't Armbrusters site only Loricariids?).
Besides ist´s rather difficult for us, even impossible for many catfish keepers, to discuss in English language , probably for many Scandinavian Users ist´s not so easy either.
I think you are wrong about this. There are several scandinavians here, when you keep in mind that in all of scandinavia there are less than 20 million people alltogether (suddently started wondering if Finland is considered as a part of Scandinavia...) The english knowledge in these countries is generally good. Since there are so few people living here, if you want to talk to other people, you have to know a more "usable" language, such as english or german.

I'll agree that writing more "advanced" stuff about fish is hard at some time, such as remebering the english words for all the different fins and body parts.

I have an impression that most aquarists in Sweden care more for cichlids than people elsewhere in western europe does, but this is probably wrong :p
Walter

Post by Walter »

Well, Lion King ;) ,
you´re probably right, but I cant imagine, that every Northman is fit enough in English to discuss in an English speaking forum. High esteem to your education system, if I´m wrong.´
In Austria most of the younger people are also able to speak English more or less well, but many of the older ones do not. And I know more than one "old and very experienced aquarist" ;)
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

(suddently started wondering if Finland is considered as a part of Scandinavia...)
It's not in Scandinavia König Löwe.

But I do agree with you that the Scandinavians have no problems in partisipating on English forums. We might suck a little in the terms of correct spelling, but people tend to get the point :D

I actually think that as much as 90% of the Scandinavians younger then 40'ish +/-
know english pretty well.
I love L-numbers
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

I'm wondering if there are any catfish fans and fish keepers in Iraq, either way I hope they keep themselves and their families safe in the coming days, I just heard on the news that the assault has started. :(

jason
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

Post by perrush »

Coryman wrote:There are 96 signed up members that have not given there location. That more than 25% of the total membership. :(

Ian
even worse : 150 members with 1 or less posts :(

:shock: Perrush :shock:
* the only one from Belgium *
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

I'm really quite amazed at the lack of Canadians here. I have seen a few others, but they are all in western Canada. As far as I know, I'm the only one east of Alberta! :(

I agree with how shocking it is to see so many people with no posts, or just one. I suppose many people might get an account just to have one or two questions answered.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

I think I am very unique in this forum. I'm from Austria!!
Georg
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

There are a lot of people that join sites just to be able to say
"I am a member at .................."
I could thin them out if they have done absolutely nothing, Jools your shout.
Walter

Post by Walter »

servas ;)
SynoPetri wrote:I think I am very unique in this forum. I'm from Austria!!
nana, bist net allan 8)
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

Hallo Walter, gut zu wissen eine österreichische Stütze zu haben. Ich komme aus Bairisch Kölldorf, liegt in der Süd-Ost Steiermark.
Was für Fische führen dich in dieses ausserordentlich gute Forum? In meinem Fall sind es vor allem die Synodontis Arten.
Es ist jedoch schon ziemlich gemein, dass wir uns hier auf Deutsch unterhalten.
Georg
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi Georg,
to talk in German we should use another catfish forum ( http://www.l-welse.com , maybe http://www.welse.net ).
My favourits are the Loricariids.
TWYLYGHT
Location 1: Florida
Interests: Many

Newbe...............

Post by TWYLYGHT »

Hi,
I've just became very interested in Pl*co's and thought this would be a good place to start learning. I have one common Pl*co and hope to add a Zebra to the clan asap. Of course, here in the SunShine State (Florida) I may have a problem finding the Zebra. So, if anyone in or around the Tampa Florida area knows of a pet store that has what I am looking for please let me know.
I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time here and becoming part of the Pl*co world.
Twylyght
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi Twylight,
you´re from Florida? And there are no Zebraplecos in Florida?
What´s true of the rumor, Zebra´s are (have been?) spawned in ponds in Florida?
CATWITHOUTHAT
Location 1: minneapolis minnesota
Interests: cats and all other freshwater fish

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

minneapolis minnesota here...home of the bullhead, channel cat, mud cat, walleye, northern, bass, crappie, sunfish, perch, muskie, walleye...hey its not called the land of 10000 lakes for nothing...i know some people who actually keep indigenous species here mostly northern pike for the absolute shock appeal involved...you think pirhanas have teeth :evil:

ben
CATWITHOUTHAT
Location 1: minneapolis minnesota
Interests: cats and all other freshwater fish

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

deutsch ware mir auch ok...:rock:
Catinthehat
Location 1: Windsor,Ontario, Canada
Interests: Cory's

Post by Catinthehat »

Hey Ben make that 2 of us east of Alberta as I'm from Windsor Ontario' Canada....

Les
Saara
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland
Interests: jogging, reading

Post by Saara »

Chill wrote:But I do agree with you that the Scandinavians have no problems in partisipating on English forums. We might suck a little in the terms of correct spelling, but people tend to get the point. I actually think that as much as 90% of the Scandinavians younger then 40'ish +/- know english pretty well.

I would like to point out something very briefly. Though, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia it is part of the Nordic Counties with more similarities than differencies with other Nordic Countries when population and education are concerned. Most Finns of ages 15 - 50 do not have difficulties in participating in English forums but those older than 50 might prefer German forums because that was one of the most popular languages taught at school in their youth. (Och eftersom vi har lärt oss so kallad tvång svenska i skolan [därför att vi har en svenskspråkig och inflytande minoritet här i Finland...] skulle vi kunna delta i svenskspråkiga diskussioner lika så. Finns det nogra bra svenskspråkiga grupper om malar till exempel?)
Last edited by Saara on 05 Apr 2003, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Ora et labora.

Return to “Speak Easy”