5 x Trachelyichthys exilis

Items for sale in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

5 x Trachelyichthys exilis

Post by Martin S »

Group of 5 catfish suitable for tropical tanks without small fish. This group contains at least 1 male and 2 females, can confirm sex of all 5 fish when I catch them. Reason for sale is have downsized my tank and they are just too big to keep.
Sizes for the group range from 2.5-3.5".
Collection from Horsham, West Sussex.
£45 for the group.
Martin S

Re: 5 x Trachelyichthys exilis

Post by Martin S »

Sensible offers considered...
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Need gone...anyone?
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Still available...
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hard to believe there have been no takers in a year for these cute guys. Do your LFSs across the pond take trade-ins or donations? Most of the better ones here do.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Me too, it's not like they are a regular fish seen, so am surprised they haven't gone as well. I guess it's mostly location, trying to find someone who lives local enough to want them! My regular LFS don't take trade-ins, and not sure I'd want them to go to the one that probably would!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Looking at the map, you don't live more than 40 km, or 25 miles, as you are likely used to thinking, from London. I would not call that far from anyone.
cats have whiskers
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Bas Pels wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 13:42Looking at the map, you don't live more than 40 km, or 25 miles, as you are likely used to thinking, from London. I would not call that far from anyone.
Oh my dear friend... I wouldn't be so quick to say so.

I love my fishy friends on the other side of the pond. But for the last few years, as I've spoken with them here, on FaceBook, and by other venues, it's become clear to me that many of my UK friends have a very different experience with the term "distance" than do I.

Myself, I may drive 50-80 miles without a second thought to visit a LFS (usually 3-4 LFS on the same trip). But from what several of my UK friends have told me, even 20 miles distance is something insurmountable. I am not critical of that, since I know driving in some parts of the UK is very different than I experience in the USA, so the sentiment can be well-founded. But I also think it is founded in the fact that many people there can find what they need locally and don't have cause to really go out of their way except for rare occasion (which I think these exilis could be).

But for me and many others in the USA, cities are far apart; so if you want something, you have to drive a long way just to get it. For example, my fish club meets about 80 miles from my house; as program director for the club, it is my responsibility to make sure monthly speakers arrive on time, and if they need a ride, I provide it. It is not uncommon for me to leave my house at 9AM and spend the whole day picking up the speaker and driving them to/from my club that night; I can easily put in 250 miles of driving on those days.

If I have mischaracterized my UK friends, I do apologize; I am simply trying to relay what they have told me and if they are not representative of most UK fish keepers, then my perspective is off target.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Last week I read on a Dutch formu someone looking for rather special fishes, requesting them to be availeble close by. But generally there is an understanding that, if you want to have something special, you will have to drive.

Now putting in 250 miles a day just to arrange a meeting would seam a bit extreme to me, but refusing to drive 20 miles? When in highschool I had to bike 10 km just to get to school. And every now and then, on my way home, I went to a petshop, so I'm used to spending some time to get to a petshop - luckily I now have a car
cats have whiskers
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

I agree, I think as Brits we don't generally drive far except for holidays or family!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol

Post by racoll »

The combination of congested roads and high fuel prices often make road travel in the UK a pretty miserable experience.

The population density stats say it all really: 271 per square km (UK) vs. 33 per square km (USA).

Therefore all other things being equal, we have roughly ten times more cars on an average stretch of road. And our roads are not so straight, so that adds complications and extra fuel costs.

I'll often walk several km to do something, just because I can't be bothered with the hassle of cruising the neighbourhood to find a decent car parking space when I return. Most people in cities don't have garages, so they have to park on the street where all the spots are inevitably taken outside of work hours.

That said, I'll happily drive hundreds of miles to get a fish I really want, but usually I tie in general shop browsing with trips for other reasons.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Interesting perspectives. Thanks, guys.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

I have a few reasons for sticking close to home.
Time - It's in short supply so long road trips are out
Cost - Petrol is expensive and it soon adds up
Trust - Your trusting the person you are buying from A) not to mess you about B) not to sell you something sick (I've seen people ask for offers on a group than a day or 2 later workout what was killing them and retracked the sale) I was very angry about that as they would have happily passed a problem to someone else potentially wiping their stock out. I don't think anyone on here would ever do that.
Water conditions - The closer to home you are the more likely they are to accept the move over.

Sadly these are not the exact species I am looking for.
I have a very basic hit list of Peppered corys, Bronze corys and Oil cats currently. I am open to some clown plecos or farlowella that is big enough to sex to try to make a pair.

I think the price asked for here is fair just not the catfish I am currently looking for. I have considered them several times though ;)
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

I'm amazed these are still available...
JamesFish

Post by JamesFish »

New year and having had a little dig appears these would be okay to join my oil cats in a 3ft.

Don't suppose if I pay for petrol a delivery could be arranged at a weekend to suit you? I'm next to the Dartford Toll / QE2 bridge post code starts DA1.

Happy to pay via PayPal to assure you won't have a wasted trip. Would tick the goods or services box so please allow extra for that.

This is of course assuming they are still about and not sold yet.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Hi James. Someone is meant to be collecting them next week, but will message up if that changes. Thanks. Martin
JamesFish

Post by JamesFish »

Thanks hope all goes well.
Martin S