Shane's World is getting old/stagnant

For the discussion, definition and tracking of new features to the site.
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Shane's World is getting old/stagnant

Post by fat meloe! »

I understand that creating new articles for it might be time-consuming or problematic, but how I wish there were more!

If my eyes are correct, the Planet's top users (you know who you are) are making many exciting new projects and dealing with new species, and summarizing that 5-page forum thread will make it more understandable and nutritious.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Shane's World is getting old/stagnant

Post by bekateen »

fat meloe! wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 04:57I understand that creating new articles for it might be time-consuming or problematic, but how I wish there were more!

If my eyes are correct, the Planet's top users (you know who you are) are making many exciting new projects and dealing with new species, and summarizing that 5-page forum thread will make it more understandable and nutritious.
You've made an astute observation: The rate of production of articles seems very slow.

Keep in mind that all the content here has accumulated - built up in layers like sedimentary rock - over almost 20 years. So at any moment, there isn't a rapid influx of articles. But to your point, the rate probably was faster in the past than it is today. There are several possible reasons for this.
  • When the site was new, the admins had lots to add - ideas and stories swirling in their minds and waiting to be put into words and stories.
  • As time went on, some people have left the hobby or stopped actively writing
  • Other people have started their own websites that also contain content, so new authors have alternate options for publishing their stories.
  • Social media is changing and some of the "content" we expect to find here appears on other platforms like Facebook.
Speaking for myself, I may post a lot, but I haven't written many stories yet. I've only been on PlanetCatfish for about 3 years. Many of the "projects" I report about in my forum posts are still ongoing. I'm not ready to write stories yet about animals I'm still working with. But when I succeed, I plan to write new articles.

Since this topic is on your mind, are there any articles you'd like to see? We are always in need of ideas and content. Who knows, maybe one day you'll have a story on Shane's World. ;-)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Post by fat meloe! »

I don't have anything specific to add, since fishes are currently not a top priority. It was only a casual suggestion, after all.

Cheers
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, things get old. However stagnant probably means nothing fresh coming in, and that's true. I think I have one or two articles I could publish - it's down to time really. It is my intention to freshen up the layout and also make all of the articles in there easier to find.

Jools

Return to “Suggestions, Feature Requests and Enhancements”