Sorting Hypancistrus inspector pics to the new L501

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Sorting Hypancistrus inspector pics to the new L501

Post by bekateen »

Hi Jools,

I'm looking at the photos on the Hypancistrus inspector CLOG page, and comparing them to the illustrations in the latest CSG journal article on H. inspector vs. L501. Based on body spot number and size, and on spots present/absent from caudal fin, I believe there are a number of photos on the H. inspector page that need to move over to the L501 CLOG page. Here's what I see:
L501
H. inspector
H. inspector
Can't see body. This is Ingo's photo. His other pics are one of L501 and one of H. inspector. So no way to guess on this pic)
L501
H. inspector
H. inspector
H. inspector
L501
H. inspector (Babies so I can't tell; but other pics from this owner are inspector, so I'm going with inspector)
H. inspector (Babies so I can't tell; but other pics from this owner are inspector, so I'm going with inspector)
H. inspector
H. inspector
L501
H. inspector
H. inspector
H. inspector (not a clear picture of body, but too many spots to be L501: also, it's Yann's so probably same as in other pics)
H. inspector (from Yann, and all his other pics are inspector, so this probably is too)
H. inspector (lots of spots visible on body in background; also, it's Yann's so probably same as in other pics)
H. inspector
L501
L501
Can you (or anyone else) confirm the differences? And once these are established, can we split the photos? I'll handle them however you think wisest.
Note. If you agree, I can move the pics easily... EXCEPT photos 4 and 5 because they belong to Shane's World articles. So moving them requires coordination and a pay grade above mine.

Thanks, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:26)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 43
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Re: Sorting Hypancistrus inspector pics to the new L501

Post by jac »

Hi Eric, I can also help you with that and it's quite easy. There is no picture of a true Hypancistrus inspector on the cat-e-log.
The only two pictures that could be (but doesn't show the full fish) are the Caudal fin picture by Yann, and the Headshape picture, also by Yann. The rest are all L501.
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Jac. Thanks for this. I'm surprised to learn that so many of the other pics would also L501 because they look much more spotted than your L501 in the CSG article.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
jac
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

To give you some pictures for the H. inspector log:

6-8 months old:

One year old:

1,5 years old:

2 Years old:

3 Years old:

Some pictures that show difference to Hypancistrus sp. L501.

A young (2 year old) Hypancistrus inspector on the left compared to a wild caught adult breeding male Hypancistrus sp. L501.

Dorsal view Hypancistrus inspector

Caudal fin Hypancistrus inspector.

Side view Hypancistrus inspector.

Nick Ridout will have more pictures for you of adult fish ;)

Thank you for looking at this, it needed to be corrected :-BD
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=45978
jac

Post by jac »

bekateen wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 06:34 Hi Jac. Thanks for this. I'm surprised to learn that so many of the other pics would also L501 because they look much more spotted than your L501 in the CSG article.

Cheers, Eric
The diversity of Hypancistrus sp. L501 is huge. Not one spotted fish is identical to the other. That's what made it difficult to tackle this subject. But we need to go back to the roots to understand more, catch location for one.
But the real difference is the actual fish themselves. Hypancistrus inspector has a completely different structure of body shape, head shape, pectoral fin, caudal fin, lack of odonthodes, and growth rate compared to Hypancistrus sp. L501.
jac

Post by jac »

As I'm close to finally breeding my F1 Hypancistrus inspector now and I can finally see the morphological differences between male and female, I'll get them out into the photo tank and take shots for gender comparison ;)
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Sorry, I mucked up Eric's first post.

Have decided to tackle this tonight! I can't differentiate L102 from H. inspector. So for now they're in one entry. Happy that L501 is close enough to a n. sp. and gave it it's own entry a while back.

Here is what I've done so far. Please note this is not final judgement (I'd not be so arrogant!) but rather what I am fairly sure about in a first pass.

Jools
  1. L501 Moved
  2. H. inspector OK
  3. H. inspector OK
  4. Can't see body. This is Ingo's photo. His other pics are one of L501 and one of H. inspector. So no way to guess on this pic) These two pictures were taken from fishes from the L102 import back in the day but not sure.
  5. L501 Moved
  6. H. inspector
  7. H. inspector
  8. H. inspector
  9. L501 OK
  10. H. inspector (Babies so I can't tell; but other pics from this owner are inspector, so I'm going with inspector)
  11. H. inspector (Babies so I can't tell; but other pics from this owner are inspector, so I'm going with inspector)
  12. H. inspector
  13. H. inspector
  14. L501 OK
  15. H. inspector
  16. H. inspector
  17. H. inspector (not a clear picture of body, but too many spots to be L501: also, it's Yann's so probably same as in other pics)
  18. H. inspector (from Yann, and all his other pics are inspector, so this probably is too)
  19. H. inspector (lots of spots visible on body in background; also, it's Yann's so probably same as in other pics)
  20. H. inspector
  21. L501 OK
  22. L501 OK
Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

This leaves us with:

Ingo's images which I can see are L501 except one
Paul Kjaerland's images which I can see are L501

Will take me a bit longer to move them.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I think I've got them all sorted out now. @Yann Fulliquet and @Jac - what do you think about Yann's fish? The photo makes the fish look lighter than maybe it is?

Jools
jac

Post by jac »

Awesome work Jools!
Pictures 5,6,7 and 8 are also L501. True Hypancistrus inspector doesn't show so much odonthodes, even when they are fully mature breeding males.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Thanks Jac,

I hope @Yann Fulliquet can answer, but I think also image 3 and 4 are the same individual fish as pictures 5,6,7 and 8. It's possible they are different species from the same import (not same export necessarily), it's unclear but the data in the pictures seems to suggest they all came from one batch of pics. Just want to to see if Yann can shed any light on it.

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”