Non-dissertation student research sticky

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 58
My cats species list: 103 (i:40, k:45)
My aquaria list: 30 (i:14)
My BLogs: 32 (i:112, p:1650)
My Wishlist: 33
Spotted: 126
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Non-dissertation student research sticky

Post by bekateen »

This thread is for posting unpublished abstracts or research not presented in a graduate dissertation or thesis. This thread includes abstracts of undergraduate projects and abstracts from other unpublished works, likely presented at a scientific meeting or via university libraries and Creative Commons portals.
"So many catfishes, so little time... and space... and money." - I said this after visiting Pier Aquatics.
http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1
Would you like to buy my fish? Click HERE for prices.

bekateen

Madtom catfish use dead mussel shells

Post by bekateen »

Update: This is now published here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49145

Brumley, J. (2018). Use of Dead Mussel Shells by Madtom Catfish in the Green River. Honors College Capstone Experience & Thesis Projects. Paper 747. Western Kentucky University.

https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/stu_hon_theses/747
Abstract
The Green River in Kentucky has high fish and macroinvertebrate diversity. As both fish and macroinvertebrates have evolved together in this system, symbiotic relationships have developed between species. One type of relationship that has been observed is between madtom catfish (Noturus spp.) and mussels in the Green River, as the madtom individuals use dead mussel shells as cover while not actively hunting. In the fall of 2016 and 2017, surveys were conducted to determine if madtom catfish prefer hiding under dead mussel shells or rocks of similar size. The data was collected at four separate sites along the Green River, each sampled per year. Three 12-meter by 12-meter plots were sampled at each site by snorkeling upstream searching for madtoms in the dead mussel shells and under the rock substrate. An equal amount of effort was used searching for madtoms under rocks and in mussel shells. Significantly more madtoms were found under mussel shells than under rocks of similar size. These results support the hypothesis tested in this study that madtoms prefer the cover of mussel shells rather than rocks. The decline of mussel populations, and resulting decline in available mussel shells in rivers and streams, may have negative effects on madtom populations in the future.
  • Advisor(s) or Committee Chair: Dr. Philip Lienesch, Dr. Scott Grubbs, Dr. Chris Keller
    Disciplines: Aquaculture and Fisheries | Biology | Natural Resources and Conservation
"So many catfishes, so little time... and space... and money." - I said this after visiting Pier Aquatics.

bekateen

Influence of drought on Trachelyopterus galeatus

Post by bekateen »

Dantas, C.T.D.A. (2019). Influence of supraseasonal drought on the population attributes of Trachelyopterus Galeatus (Siluriformes, Auchenipteridae) in the Santa Cruz-RN reservoir. Monograph presented to the Rural Federal University of Semi-Arid as a requirement to obtain a Bachelor of Ecology degree.

Dantas, C. T. D. A. (2019). Influência de seca suprasazonal nos atributos populacionais de Trachelyopterus Galeatus (Siluriformes, Auchenipteridae) no reservatório de Santa Cruz-RN. Monografia apresentada à Universidade Federal Rural do Semi-Árido como requisito para obtenção do título de Bacharel em Ecologia.

http://repositorio.ufersa.edu.br/handle/prefix/1700
ABSTRACT
Drought is a type of natural disorder characterized by a period of low level of can be divided into seasonal or supraseasonal, generating effects on water and aquatic communities. In this context, it is not known how fish species will respond to the long and continuous pressure of supra-seasonal drought. Therefore, the purpose of this work aimed to evaluate the influence of supraseasonal drought on the population attributes of Trachelyopteurs galeatus, testing the hypothesis that the population parameters varying with prolonged drought, represented by the reduction in water volume of the reservoir. The study area is located in the Apodi / Mossoró river basin, in the Santa Cruz-RN reservoir. At this location, quarterly collections were performed in the period from February 2010 to December 2017. To characterize the dynamics of the. Some attributes of this level of organization were estimated: weight-length relationship; monthly variation of gonadal maturation stages; first length maturation (L50); temporal variation in abundance (CPUEn) and biomass (CPUEb); temporal variation of Total Length (TC); Condition factor (K); and Index gonadosomatic (IGS). To verify the influence of supraseasonal drought on the population the same attributes were used as dependent variables and the water volume of the reservoir as an independent variable in general linear models. It was observed that in period studied, rainfall ranged from 0 mm to 582.4 mm, with May 2011 being the of greater accumulated precipitation. The reservoir water volume has continuously decreased, from 91.67% to 14.59%. Population dynamics responded negatively to drought above seasonal for some of the parameters (K and CT). In the estimated weight-length ratio for the population, negative allometric type growth was observed (b = 2.56). Most population is mature in all evaluated quarters, mainly females. The length of first maturation for grouped sexes was 9.75 cm, and for females the value was below and for males the value was 10.48 cm, but during the years. Many fluctuations were observed without any tendency (upward and downward). Therefore, there were positive responses to supra-seasonal drought, and adverse water conditions. of the reservoir does not seem to limit the species. The results presented corroborate with the hypothesis of this study, that is, the species Trachelyopterus galeatus seems to have responded to supraseasonal drought for some of the parameters evaluated (CPUEn, K, IGS, L50), which may be interpreted as plasticity in some of its population attributes.
RESUMO
A seca é um tipo de distúrbio natural caracterizada por um período de baixo nível de precipitação, podendo ser dividida em sazonal ou suprasazonal, gerando efeitos nos cursos hídricos e nas comunidades aquáticas. Nesse contexto, não se sabe como espécies de peixes responderão a pressão contínua e longa da seca supra sazonal. Portanto, o objetivo desse trabalho foi avaliar a influência da seca suprasazonal nos atributos populacionais da espécie de peixe Trachelyopteurs galeatus, testando a hipótese de que os parâmetros populacionais estão variando em função da seca prolongada, representada pela redução do volume de água do reservatório. A área do estudo é localizada na bacia hidrográfica do rio Apodi/Mossoró, no reservatório de Santa Cruz-RN. Nesse local foram realizadas coletas trimestrais no período compreendido entre fevereiro de 2010 a dezembro de 2017. Para caracterizar a dinâmica populacional foram estimados alguns atributos desse nível de organização: relação pesocomprimento; variação mensal dos estádios de maturação gonadal; comprimento de primeira maturação (L50); variação temporal na abundância (CPUEn) e na biomassa (CPUEb); variação temporal de Comprimento Total (CT); Fator de condição (K); e Índice gonadossomático (IGS). Para verificar a influência da seca suprasazonal na população utilizou-se os mesmos atributos como variáveis dependentes e o volume de água do reservatório como variável independente em modelos lineares gerais. Observou-se que no período estudado, a precipitação variou entre 0 mm a 582,4 mm, sendo maio de 2011 o mês de maior precipitação acumulada. O volume de água do reservatório reduziu continuamente, passando de 91,67% para 14,59%. A dinâmica populacional respondeu negativamente a seca supra sazonal para alguns dos parâmetros (K e CT). Na relação peso-comprimento estimada para a população, observou-se crescimento do tipo alométrico negativo (b=2,56). A maioria da população encontra-se madura em todos os trimestres avaliados, principalmente as fêmeas. O comprimento de primeira maturação para sexos agrupados foi 9,75 cm, sendo que para fêmeas o valor foi abaixo e para machos o valor foi de 10,48 cm, porém durante os anos foram observadas muitas flutuações sem nenhuma tendência (de aumento e de diminuição). Portanto, ocorreram respostas positivas a seca supra sazonal, e as condições adversas da água do reservatório parece não limitar a espécie. Os resultados apresentados corroboram com a hipótese desse estudo, ou seja, a espécie Trachelyopterus galeatus parece ter respondido à seca suprasazonal para alguns dos parâmetros avaliados (CPUEn, K, IGS, L50), isso podendo ser interpretado como plasticidade em alguns de seus atributos populacionais

bekateen

Re: Non-dissertation student research sticky

Post by bekateen »

Slaughter, Mariah, "An Investigation on the Cover Preference of the Mountain Madtom (Noturus eleutherus)" (2020). Honors College Capstone Experience/Thesis Projects. Paper 845.
https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/stu_hon_theses/845

https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/stu_hon_theses/845/

PDF: https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/view ... hon_theses
Abstract
Madtom catfish, members of the genus Noturus, are common in the waters of the Southeastern US. A previous study observed that madtoms in the Green River, Kentucky, preferred to shelter within old mussel shells compared to under or next to rocks. A laboratory study on the Carolina Madtom (Noturus furiosus), found that they did not utilize mussel shells and preferred rocks as cover. I conducted a similar laboratory study to determine which cover options the Mountain Madtoms (Noturus eleutherus) prefer. Cover preference was determined by offering the madtoms shelter options (rocks or mussel shells) in 10-gallon aquaria. After the animal had acclimated to the tank for 24 hours the tank was inspected, and the animal’s shelter choice recorded. I found that Mountain Madtoms selected to use the mussel shells over the rocks. Based on these results I conducted a second experiment to see if shell orientation impacted selection. I found that Mountain Madtoms preferred shell orientations with dorsal coverage to those without. Freshwater mussels are one of the most endangered taxa and are currently declining throughout their range. If madtoms rely on mussel shells for cover, the loss of freshwater mussels may cause a decrease in madtom populations within Kentucky waterways, negatively impacting the overall ecosystem.