Corydoras saramaccensis

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
kamas88
My images: 14
My cats species list: 95 (i:0, k:39)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Corydoras saramaccensis

Post by kamas88 »

Hi,

pictures in the species page don't show Corydoras saramaccensis.
If I remember correctly these were corys from the pet trade making this species already very unlikely but also the pattern does not match and also snout shape is wrong.
Without having catching location it does not make much sense to speculate what it might be instead.

Cheers,
Karsten
--

Karsten

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 60
My cats species list: 104 (i:41, k:46)
My aquaria list: 30 (i:14)
My BLogs: 35 (i:113, p:1778)
My Wishlist: 32
Spotted: 127
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Cordoras saramaccensis

Post by bekateen »

kamas88 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:21 pm
pictures in the species page don't show C. saramaccensis.
If I remember correctly these were corys from the pet trade making this species already very unlikely but also the pattern does not match and also snout shape is wrong.
Without having catching location it does not make much sense to speculate what it might be instead.
Hi Karsten,

Thanks for pointing this out. The photos in the CLOG (e.g., this) look nothing like the C. saramaccensis photos at CW.

Of course we don't want to randomly assign these photos to another species (as you point out, they are probably from the pet trade and have no specific catch location), but if you'll allow me to think out loud, as I look at the photos here, I think they look very similar to Corydoras(ln8sc4) ephippifer and CW025, and somewhat like C075, then less like C087, C143, CW099/CW130, and CW161. Your thoughts?

Will need some attention.

Cheers, Eric
http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1
Would you like to buy my fish? Click HERE for prices.
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves is now sponsoring Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Jools
Expert
My articles: 189
My images: 905
My catfish: 244
My cats species list: 89 (i:0, k:7)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 7 (i:5, p:194)
My Wishlist: 17
Spotted: 943
Location 1: M8
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Hi Karsten and Eric,

Yes, it's a good catch - what we know about this species has moved on since 1998 when I added that first picture! So, I'd say that first picture could be replaced if we source the "real deal". The other two I took, they came in from Brazil with loads of discus. Pretty comfortable that'd be Itaituba. So would put the other two in C143?

I think Oliver and Raphael Covain both have pics of this species. But maybe you do too? Would be excellent to have it correctly represented! :-)

Cheers,

Jools

kamas88
My images: 14
My cats species list: 95 (i:0, k:39)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by kamas88 »

Hi,

I have to look if I have pictures myself, if so (quite sure) probably not really good ones.
I brought a small group from a pet shop in Paramaribo but meanwhile I have passed them to breeders with experience in lineage 1 species. They have spawned for the first time recently but nearly all eggs put fungus but the first step is done...

However, it should not be a problem to get pictures, I still know where they are and there are already some good pictures available.

Cheers,
--

Karsten

Jools
Expert
My articles: 189
My images: 905
My catfish: 244
My cats species list: 89 (i:0, k:7)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 7 (i:5, p:194)
My Wishlist: 17
Spotted: 943
Location 1: M8
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

That's good news about the spawning. So, I have one picture which looks correct (I think, some pictures show 'rocket' patterning in the outside rays of the upper and lower caudal lobes, some do not).

What do you think?

Jools
Attachments
IMG_4340.JPG