Phyllonemus typus a biparental mouthbreeder?!?

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 229
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Phyllonemus typus a biparental mouthbreeder?!?

Post by Dinyar »

Ochi, H., A. Rossiter and Y. Yanagisawa, 2000, "The first record of a biparental mouthbrooding catfish". J. Fish Biol. 57(6):1601-1604.

Just came across this reference today. Haven't yet read the article, but the title sounds pretty sensational.

(The fish in question is Phyllonemus typus, a small Clarotid catfish from Lake Tanganyika.)

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Dinyar and others,

There is a subsequent paper(s) (may have been two more) on this subject after the one you quoted. Anyone interested can email me for a copy.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I've got a german paper on that, from a guy that has bred them; according to this paper; they're pretty evolved too;
contrary to many bi-parental cichlids from Tanganyika, wich just split the duration of the breeding, and switch eggs or fry only once; these catfish actually switch often, to enable mom or dad to feed.
I've got two couples; can't wait!
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”