Syno hybrid possible parent ID please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Syno hybrid possible parent ID please

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

I bought this fish labelled as eupterus but it clearly is not. I am most certain it is a eupterus hybrid of sorts, but please ID both the parents of the hybrid so that I know what I am dealing with. This fish is 2inch TL.

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Syno hybrid possible parent ID please

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I fail to see much difference between your syno and a usual eupterus baby/juvi, e.g. as this one from Cat-eLog https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/im ... ge_id=1576

Baby eupterus differ from the spotty patterns of older fish. They have stripey, squiggly pattern. The pattern on yours is just beginning to heavily evolve into the eventual spotting of adult eupterus.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Re: Syno hybrid possible parent ID please

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 17:35 I fail to see much difference between your syno and a usual eupterus baby/juvi, e.g. as this one from Cat-eLog https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/im ... ge_id=1576

Baby eupterus differ from the spotty patterns of older fish. They have stripey, squiggly pattern. The pattern on yours is just beginning to heavily evolve into the eventual spotting of adult eupterus.
Thank you. You are most definitely correct, as it has grown in size the whitish base colour has also disappeared. I also changed its location so it might have been suntanned in its previous tank which it lost as this tank doesn't receive bright sunlight. Thanks again.

Return to “What is my catfish?”