Heater for pricy plecos

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Re: Heater for pricy plecos

Post by Taratron »

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of the comments, recommendations etc. I only really need heaters in two of my tanks and only one of those in the winter time because usually the tanks are about 80° otherwise. But for the zebras, I just can't risk it!
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I just wanted to update things. I needed a total of 4 but did not want to buy 4 without trying at least one. Plus I only needed two really soon and the others could wait a bit. So i went back and forth in the cart on Amazon as I assembled an order. My head said just get one but my heart said 2 as I had a coupon. They came on Friday and I am working on the tanks today where they were supposed to go, so it was time to see what I had gotten.

The Model IT-206T come with a choice of probes - one for aquariums and one for out of water use. I ordered the aquarium one.

For a start, nowhere on the box is the Model# listed. Also there is a label with a long number below a bar code which was obviously a second one pasted over one below it which sticks out. What the box does make clear is it is made in China. As a rule I prefer not to buy goods made in china if possible. They may be excellent or they may be close to or actually dangerous and we have no way to know which.

The product itself has the Model# but has no indication which probe it has.

The product looks simple to use which is far from what the instructions reveal. I took me 30 seconds to set each of my 9 Azoo Micro controllers. Now I have to admit the Inkbird has a lot of features i do not need and did not want. But it was the most basic model they offer.

I am not stupid but after spending about 20 minutes reading their instructions over and over I went to their site. Apparently it is being worked on and there is little info available on my model. SO I have emailed them asking to send me a set of step by step directions in simple English that even a child could follow so I can set the unit to work to meet mu simple need. I do not need day and not settings, I do not need temperature differentials, I just need to set a temp and have it go on and off. otherwise I need to return the units.

These I can still get, but at $20 more apiece https://sevenports.com/product/micro-te ... w-celsius/

*sigh*
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

You can get stand alone temperature sensors that send alerts to your smart phone if your worried about heater malfunctions.

This would not prevent the heater(s)from malfunctions but let you know when tank temperatures shift from your desired range.

One of the inkbird controllers has inbuilt phone notifications too but having a stand alone (completely separate) alert would be safer in my opinion.

If you are mostly worried about overheating, you can remotely turn off /on power points (for heater) by smart phone easily if your away.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

I've used hydor inline heaters extensively (have at least 40) as well as countless other brands of heaters since I've got several hundred tanks. The hydor heaters have a digital guage and been extremely reliable as well as accurate in turning off/on.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I do not own nor use a smart phone. I have a flip phone I use for voice calls and which is turned off over 95% of the time. So that options is not possible nor would it be desired. I do not need to get a call that my fish are being boiled alive, I need a controller to prevent that. Part of my dislike for touch screens is they rarely work well for me due to very dry skin. My flip phone does not have a touch screen. Buttons do not care how dry one's skin might be to work.

I am willing to pay more to get less because it will be a lot easier to use and a lot less prone to screwing it up. I am a big believer in the KISS theory.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
TwoTankAmin wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 17:20 .... I do not need to get a call that my fish are being boiled alive, I need a controller to prevent that.

I am willing to pay more to get less because it will be a lot easier to use and a lot less prone to screwing it up. I am a big believer in the KISS theory.
Same for me, as little electronics as possible.........

cheers Darrel
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

After several back and forth emails with Inkbird I am returning both units. I got them for about $28 each with a 10% off coupon and free shipping. I am going to buy a couple more of the Azoo Micro Controllers which will cost me $52 each plus shipping. In the end I will pay about twice as much to get something that works well, is way easier to use. It will be in C only, no F available. Despite that it will work a lot easier than the Inkbird.

The Azoo is simple, there is an up and a down button. These change the temperature below which the unit will turn on and at which it will turn off the electricity to the heaters. It takes me under 10 seconds to set or change the desired temp. and that is all I have to do. With the Inkbird I had to run through a bunch of setting just to change one- the desired temp. I paid about $22 each for my first 3, then when FosterSmith got taken over Live Aquaria, put them on sale for $12. I only bought 4 and a week later tried to get more and they were gone. So for the last couple I have paid the $52.

I am reminded of the line near the end of Field of Dreams when they are talking about tourists coming to the field. The character played by James Earl Jones says, "They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack."

Return to “Tank Talk”