Marked as a "Angelicus" but I think is a "Bristlenose"

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
josephnoctum
My cats species list: 9 (i:1, k:7)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Austin
Location 2: Texas, USA

Marked as a "Angelicus" but I think is a "Bristlenose"

Post by josephnoctum »

So I've had this one for about 10 months it was trial and error getting the diet right. Pretty much ignores all algae in the tank, algae wafers, and Repashy Supergreen. Loves going after shrimp pellets, and Bug Bites Bottom Feeder food and chews on wood nearly constantly. Very active in the day and goes under a log or in the cave at night. I didn't know nearly enough about Plecos when I got this one at the LFS and the tank was marked "Angelicus Pleco" but looking at pictures looks closer to a "Bristlenose" just without the "bristles", so female?. Is just barely over 3 inches at this point. I just want to make sure I'm taking good care of this one. One of my favorite fish at this point.
IMG_7529.jpeg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Marked as a "Angelicus" but I think is a "Bristlenose"

Post by Jools »

Yup, it's a bristlenose.

Cheers,

Jools
josephnoctum
My cats species list: 9 (i:1, k:7)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Austin
Location 2: Texas, USA

Post by josephnoctum »

Thank you, Jools! That's what I thought after learning more about them.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,

as you already suggested it is a female, yes. The name "Angelicus pleco" is used more often for this fish than one might assume, it has some spots, so why not call it "Angelicus"? Same name is applied to P. albomaculatus, H. contradens, L 107, L 181 etc. I guess it is because the spots are also present in S. angelicus, hence the reference, even though the term "angelicus" itself does no refer to the spots if not the overall appearance.
Daniel

Return to “What is my catfish?”