Ninja Woodcats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Re: Ninja Woodcats

Post by fishguy1978 »

335B6166-09A6-4E4C-ADFD-69A6396581FB.jpeg
1CEF450F-B4B5-4CB7-9A1D-1E5434149638.jpeg
A4EB4D39-490B-4B42-A818-37E407A0EF79.jpeg
749CF267-FFA8-41F5-BD5E-2CA23D22EEAF.jpeg
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
fishguy1978
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

Pulled dead #7 today. Tempted to clove oil the last two but am holding out hope they recover.
fishguy1978

Post by fishguy1978 »

#8 was dead this morning and I used clove oil in #9. Project failure.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Sorry to hear that. What do you think went wrong?

Jools
fishguy1978

Post by fishguy1978 »

Jools wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 17:54 Sorry to hear that. What do you think went wrong?

Jools
I’m not entirely sure why the losses but a member on MFK pointed out these are a rheophillic species something I was not aware of prior.
The system they were in is ~1000l distributed in eight 120l tanks and a 140l sump. All of the tanks are planted so nitrates are kept low.
I’m also running 1440l/h (1.5x) turnover with 100w DC pump at 50% power. I had not calculated my flow before so it could be that I am running an O2 deficit. Would this explain the losses?
I have a constant water change running with cold water dripping 15l/h. My municipality only runs 0.5ppm chlorine so it doesn’t even register when testing. Tap water on the right and T m tank on the left. Test strip reads from ph 8.4 (red), chlorine 0ppm (white), alkalinity 80ppm (green). The brown is stabilizer which might be 30-50ppm Gh? This a swimming pool test kit so I don’t know how accurate these strips are. My liquid AP kit shows a similar result for ph though.
DEDA0D88-DEAA-4F6E-96D0-E957668B734E.jpeg
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Not enough DO would certainly have the same result, but it doesn't explain the fin erosion. I've also seen fin erosion with too much current on some spp. too. Neither the case here IMHO.

I'd say 1.5% of straight tap water per hour would be a likely issue given wild caught low pH/dH species. With that setup, maybe best to quarantine wild caught for weeks in isolation and then add to the central system. I know it's hard (and I'm speaking from experience / similar issues) but it's also best just to leave fish in a tank and then worry about photos and sexing until they're settled.

HTH,

Jools
Catfish-ologist
My articles: 1
My images: 3
My cats species list: 56 (i:4, k:31)
My aquaria list: 14 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:4, p:205)
My Wishlist: 46
Spotted: 94
Location 1: Alabama
Location 2: USA
Interests: Auchenipteridae, Hypancistrus, and other Catfish.

Post by Catfish-ologist »

I posted earlier in this thread that my Gulper catfish have a form of fin erosion which includes their spines. This erosion looks incredibly similar to fishguy1978's musaicia. Earlier in December, one of my female Gulper's lateral line broke out with lesions, for the 4th time. I brought her to a true aquatic fish vet (i.e. chief veterinarian of a major US aquarium) as I knew I was likely to lose her, no matter what. I decided that she was worth taking the additional risk on her and get her to the vet. At least, hopefully, I'd learn something that could help my other two Gulper's. I've had multiple virtual visits about the health of my Gulper's with the vet over the past year, however, this was the first in-office visit. The doctor agreed she was in poor condition. Her lateral line organ had been damaged from the lesions. He performed a skin scrape (which was negative) and a culture of a lesion. She was given injections of Amikacin as a last resort antibiotic. She survived the long journey to the vet and back home. Her appetite continues to be normal. After 2+ weeks, the results of her culture came back as Aeromonas sobria. This is a nasty bug. The short version is that my other 2 Gulper catfish have this bug as well. I purchased 2 of my Gulpers (a pair) about 2 years ago when they were about 3" long. Their fin/spine erosion issue started not long after I had them. It has been an extremely slow erosion. I obtained the 3rd Gulper less than a year ago. Her fin/spine issue started within 2 months of her arrival. The 3'rd Gulper contracted Aeromonas sobria from the other two Gulpers. It is a bug that is native to South America. While Aeromonas are common in the aquarium world, this particular one is not. Aeromonas are waterborne. My Gulper's are wild caught and clearly were not put through a sufficient wild caught fish QT treatment protocol which would have killed this bad bug. At this time I don't have all of the treatment details as I received the news yesterday. My plan is to post a complete detailed story in the near future once treatments are underway in a new thread. I felt that my Gulper's fin/spine issue was so strikingly similar to the musaicia that I wanted to reach out and share this information. Honestly, the shape of the musaicia's tail matched the appearance of my one female Gulper's tail.
I hope this information can be of some use. I will make an updated post later-on with more details on what I do with treatment etc.
Thanks,
-- Sean
Oh I'm only gonna get 1 tank for 1 catfish...(every time I see a catfish)! - Sean Hensley 2021

There may be limited space for catfish tanks but there is unlimited space for catfish knowledge. - Sean Hensley 2022

Everyone has limits. not everyone accepts them. - Anonymous
fishguy1978

Post by fishguy1978 »

Catfish-ologist wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 21:35 I posted earlier in this thread….
Thanks,
-- Sean
Thank you for the info. I will try researching said bug to see what treatment I should pursue.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

My understanding is that Aeromonas is often present in aquaria, particularly those that see a lot of fishes. It only becomes problematic when other factors (see my previous post) weaken immune systems to the point that bacteria take over. This is why it can affect only one fish or a discrete group of fish in the tank when others seem unaffected. For example, when acclimatised blackwater fishes are moved carelessly into whitewater systems, it is commonly what negatively impacts the fish the most. It's about prevention as opposed to cure.

HTH,

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”