Sexing Platydoras armatulus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
OregonOutdoorsChris
My images: 3
My cats species list: 22 (i:21, k:11)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:10)
My BLogs: 5 (i:20, p:293)
My Wishlist: 40
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Portland, Oregon
Location 2: USA

Sexing Platydoras armatulus?

Post by OregonOutdoorsChris »

I'd like to get people's opinions on the sexes of a couple of Platydoras armatulus I've recently acquired. They are rescues from two different aquarists getting out of the hobby but both are reportedly similar in age at 10-15years old.

The one shown centered in the photo below, is a fair amount girthier, and the broader build of the body has me thinking it's a female. But it's also possibly on the older end of the 10-15 year old range.
20220220_174255.jpg
Then this one shown below I'm believing to be a male due to the smaller size and more streamlined body. Its previous owners are fairly certain it's on the younger end of that 10-15 year old range.
20220220_174258.jpg
Then for good measure both of them together.
20220220_174300.jpg

Anyone have thoughts on if I got lucky and have one of each sex? Or is it likely the possible 5 year age gap and different life circumstances could be the cause of the different builds of the fish?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Sexing Platydoras armatulus?

Post by Bas Pels »

I don't think the 5 years gap in age will do much in length and so on - both will be fully mature.

But, the species does have a large distribution area, and that usually comes with small differences among the populations. And noone will be able to confirm they come from the same area.

Now, assuming the chances of being caught is similar for males and females - this isnot for all species tha case - one would expect 50 % to be male and 50 % to be female in the shop, and that would give us 50 % chance of having a male with a female when we have 2. But I cannot say anything about chances of being cought being similar.
cats have whiskers
OregonOutdoorsChris
My images: 3
My cats species list: 22 (i:21, k:11)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:10)
My BLogs: 5 (i:20, p:293)
My Wishlist: 40
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Portland, Oregon
Location 2: USA

Post by OregonOutdoorsChris »

I was out in the fishroom late last night checking newly installed bulkheads for leaks before going to bed and stumbled upon the two Platydoras interacting in an interesting way.

The smaller one was pursuing the larger one, bumping mid-section to vent, a lot like corys and otos do pre-spawn. I did not observe anything that would suggest a t-position or any other actual spawning was imminent, but the night was still young at that point.

Of course there's zero chance eggs would last long in this current tank as it also holds pictus cats and siamese algae eaters, but I guess this just means I need to hurry up and get their tank ready.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Cool! Get that other tank set up and let's see babies! ;-) Good luck!

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”