A different new Cambeva

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

A different new Cambeva

Post by Silurus »

Costa, WJEM, V Abilhoa, RH Dalcin & AM Katz, 2022. A new catfish species of the genus Cambeva (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) from the Rio Iguaçu drainage, southern Brazil, with a remarkable unique colour pattern. Journal of Fish Biology doi:10.1111/jfb.15071.

Abstract

sp. nov. is described from streams tributaries of the Rio Iratim, Rio Iguaçu drainage, southern Brazil. This new species is remarkable by having a colour pattern not found elsewhere among trichomycterid catfishes, consisting of a broad distal black zone in all unpaired and pectoral fins, strongly contrasting with a pale yellow proximal zone. Cambeva melanoptera also differs from all other trichomycterids from eastern South America by having the nasal barbel about thrice longer than the maxillary and rictal barbels. Due to the presence of a similar bicolour caudal fin, the new species is tentatively considered closely related to Cambeva castroi and Cambeva diabola, as well as more closely related to C. castroi than to C. diabola, by the first two species sharing the presence of a curved lateral process of the parurohyal and a trapezoidal projection on the lateral margin of the lateral ethmoid. The great morphological diversity found in species of Cambeva endemic to the Rio Iguaçu drainage, including numerous exclusive characteristics not occurring in congeners and in any other species of closely related trichomycterine genera, indicates the need for more studies focusing on possible causal factors responsible for such unique diversification pattern.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: A different new Cambeva

Post by Jools »

If anyone has a copy of this description, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jools
Narelle
I've donated: $42.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Post by Narelle »

Jools wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 18:53 If anyone has a copy of this description, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jools
I just grabbed it for you. 👍
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Narelle wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 19:21 I just grabbed it for you. 👍
Got it, many thanks,

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”