Secondary sexual characters in Hypancistrus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Secondary sexual characters in Hypancistrus

Post by Silurus »

Reis, RGA, RS de Oliveira, IK da Silva Viana, HA Abe, R Takata, LM de Sousa, RM da Rocha, 2022. Evidence of secondary sexual dimorphism in King Tiger Plecos Hypancistrus sp, Loricariidae, of the Amazon River basin. Aquaculture Research doi: 10.1111/are.15875

Abstract

The aim of the present study was to describe the secondary sexual characteristics of adult Hypancistrus sp. A total of 120 specimens were used to evaluate the morphometric characters, to confirm the morphometric data, histological identification of sex and maturation stages of gonads was performed. The results showed that males had higher median total and standard body lengths, open fin length, right and left fin lengths, head length and width and inter-eye width than females. However, the females showed a high median abdominal width. Both sexes presented odontodes along the body, with thick odontodes present near the interopercular region and pectoral fins. In mature males, small odontodes were present along the snout. Scanning microscopy analysis confirmed that odontodes in females had a thicker base than those in males, conferring the former with a “cone” morphology. Additionally, it was observed that males had a long and broad head with a triangular shape and "V"-shaped genital papilla, while females had a round head and "U"-shaped genital papilla. Thus, we conclude that Hypancistrus sp. had secondary sexual characteristics, being possible to differentiate the sex by the size of the body, abdominal width, shape of the head, size of the odontodes and distinct morphology of the ovipositor. This study will serve as a basis for the development of breeding protocols, as it aims to identify sexually mature males and females of Hypancistrus sp. for breeding in captivity
Captainandy
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Boston
Location 2: Massachusetts

Re: Secondary sexual characters in Hypancistrus

Post by Captainandy »

Exactly how does this paper add to our knowledge on sexual dimorphism?

The points brought out are fairly well established by those who keep these
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Secondary sexual characters in Hypancistrus

Post by Bas Pels »

When something is generally known amongst fishkeepers, this will noet imply that is scientifically accepted. After all, we could be fooling ourselves.

Science requires lots of data, and that is, frankly, quite often boring work. But in order to have some knowledge scietifically published, it needs a few fellow searchers "peers" who are convinced by the presented evidence that the matter is prooven. Still, published soen not imply accepted, it could be someone else is doing research after this, and has completely different results. Obviously, this one is expected to present this evidence later.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”