Panda Black Red Tail Catfish

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Lewis s
Location 1: England
Location 2: London

Panda Black Red Tail Catfish

Post by Lewis s »

Hello, recently heard about a few people getting "panda black red tail catfish". Does anyone have any actual information on these, if they're "real" or just a colour morph etc.
Max size info and all that will be helpful if anyone knows.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Panda Black Red Tail Catfish

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I don't know anything beyond what's in this thread where I participated too. It started in 2019 but was picked up recently again in 2022. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... it.721476/

It looks like they have been sold around the world at least from 2019 and hence the adults could be around today but I've not come across a single report on them. Perhaps this hints they are not viable?

Your best best may be to comb the MFK better or to pose your query there, even though again I've not seen a single report on them at any larger size on the MFK.

The big question if this mutation occurs naturally or if this is a product of (unethical?) scientific manipulation.

I tend to think these are a sales gimmick just like the artificially produced phantom RTC, obtained by some sort of UV flashing / bleaching of RTC eggs or newborn fry... Animal cruelty and a turn off in my book... but some peers are excited about such things. Live and let live.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Panda Black Red Tail Catfish

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I do hope others will chime in as I appreciate learning from others.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “What is my catfish?”