Investigate the originale of my syno

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Siummerino
Location 1: Milan
Location 2: Italy

Investigate the originale of my syno

Post by Siummerino »

Good morning, I posted a topic a while ago in "what is my catfish" to ask if anyone knew the specie of my syno, that I kept in my tank for 7 years and that is about 12 to 14 cm long. A user told me my fish was a hybrid between synodontis eupterus and multipunctatus and another user told it was a grandiops. I was confused, so I started investigating myself. Then I found a user who posted in "what is my catfish" a topic in which he showed a catfish he found online that is identical to the one I keep asking for the specie and they told it could also be an hybrid between a synodontis nigrita and eupterus. I got confused again. Since I'm going to start bigger tank for my fish I need to know exactly what kind of water parameters are the best for my cat, that's why I need to know what specie my fish is or what species it is an hybrid between.
Ps. The ph of the water I always kept it in is about 8 and because its adipose fin is that long, can my fish be a Synodontis Ocellifer? Or is it an hybrid, and an hybrid between which species?
However, I would really like to know what experts say about this.
Thank you for your help.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220520-151436_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220520-151250_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220520-151102_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220520-151124_Gallery.jpg
20220520_175310.jpg
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Investigate the originale of my syno

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I am not an expert by any means on syno hybrid ID but have kept this species for 15 years in average water and continue keeping them.

In short, my impression is we don't know the full parentage line except that a mother species is likely a eupterus.

Most, or all, peers would say knowing the father species doesn't matter, is inconsequential to keeping this man made fish.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Siummerino
Location 1: Milan
Location 2: Italy

Post by Siummerino »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 21 May 2022, 00:00 I am not an expert by any means on syno hybrid ID but have kept this species for 15 years in average water and continue keeping them.

In short, my impression is we don't know the full parentage line except that a mother species is likely a eupterus.

Most, or all, peers would say knowing the father species doesn't matter, is inconsequential to keeping this man made fish.
Thank you very much!
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Your fish is definitely a hybrid, not an ocellifer, I do not go into guessing what is involved for the parent species because that is what it is, a guess. It is part eupterus though.
Birger
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Siummerino wrote: 20 May 2022, 17:01he showed a catfish he found online that is identical to the one I keep
I am not sure they are identical. Might it be a good idea to pull them all together in one post?

Jools

Return to “African Catfishes”