Pachypterus atherinoides behaviour

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Pachypterus atherinoides behaviour

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

Hi all. I recently got 6 . They are interesting little buggers for sure, currently around the 2inch mark. They are in a 15 gallon quarantine, and started eating sinking pellets from day one. Seeing their feeding behaviour, I was thankful these weren't , lest they start taking out chunks from other fishes' body. However, my assurance quickly turned into despair as a 2.5inch that was with them in the qt had an eye missing. I relocated the at first in a planted community until further arrangements could be made, but they grazed on the scales of several fish like a very efficient lawn mower to the point there were flesh wounds. I then returned them to their holding tank and relocated the instead, who isn't really bothered by a missing eye and has healed properly. The other victims are healing alright, but my initial plan was to set up a 4feeter with and which doesn't seem to be a good plan right now. Has anyone seen such behaviour from these fish? Someone had mentioned they were light fin nippers but I never imagined these would take inspiration from and turn every fish scaleless. Or for that matter, attack the eyes of other catfish.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pachypterus atherinoides behaviour

Post by Silurus »

Adult P. atherinoides have the strongly projecting upper jaw and exposed teeth you see in P. khavalchor, which led me to think that all Pachypterus are scale-eaters.
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

Silurus wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 13:48 Adult P. atherinoides have the strongly projecting upper jaw and exposed teeth you see in P. khavalchor, which led me to think that all Pachypterus are scale-eaters.
I feel like lepidophagy would not be as bothersome in the wild as the victims would just be passing by and inconvenienced only for a short time, but in the confines of an aquarium it is the same victim everyday so the damage will accumulate, ultimately killing off the fish. However the thing is they are always well fed and on a very varied died of frozen, live and pellets so it is puzzling they would repeatedly go for the scales (and in one case, the eye) of other fish.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

In that case shouldn't the verbiage in the 'compatibility' section of it's data sheet be updated?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

FatCatDoorMat wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 05:47
Silurus wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 13:48 Adult P. atherinoides have the strongly projecting upper jaw and exposed teeth you see in P. khavalchor, which led me to think that all Pachypterus are scale-eaters.
I feel like lepidophagy would not be as bothersome in the wild as the victims would just be passing by and inconvenienced only for a short time, but in the confines of an aquarium it is the same victim everyday so the damage will accumulate, ultimately killing off the fish. However the thing is they are always well fed and on a very varied died of frozen, live and pellets so it is puzzling they would repeatedly go for the scales (and in one case, the eye) of other fish.
Not knowing anything about these fish, I can only refer to behavioral stdies done with cats. As anyone knows, they like chasing mice, even when not hungry.

It could well be that, similarily, the lepidophagy is a behaviour they "enjoy" and therefore keep doing this.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Asian Catfishes”