Direct development of the catfish pectoral fin

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Horlack
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: France
Location 2: France

Direct development of the catfish pectoral fin

Post by Horlack »

Direct development of the catfish pectoral fin – an alternative pectoral fin pattern of teleosts

Publication : Developmental Dynamics
First published : 15 june 2022
Authors : Fedor Shkil, Daria Kapitanova, Vasily Borisov, Nikolay Veretennikov, Natacha Roux, Vincent Laudet
HTML : https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley ... 2/dvdy.509
DOI : https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.509
Note : Accepted Articles are accepted, unedited articles for future issues, temporarily published online in advance of the final edited version. (not again, in the magazine/journal. just internet pre-online )
Abstract wrote: Background

Study of the teleosts’ pectoral fin development touches on many crucial issues of evolutionary biology, from the formation of local adaptations to the tetrapod limbs’ origin. Teleosts’ pectoral fin is considered a rather developmentally and anatomically conservative structure. It displays larval and adult stages differing in the skeletal and soft tissues’ composition. Larva-adult transition proceeds under the thyroid hormone (TH) control that defines pectoral fin ontogeny as an indirect development. However, the outstanding diversity of teleosts allows suggesting the existence of lineage specific developmental patterns.

Results
We present a description of the North African catfish, Clarias gariepinus, pectoral fin development. It lacks a clear larval stage and directly develops the adult skeleton with the associated musculature and innervation. Interestingly, the development of catfish pectoral fin appears not to be under the TH dependence.

Conclusion
This catfish displays a direct pectoral fin developmental trajectory differing from the stereotyped teleost pattern. In the absence of the larval endoskeletal disk and TH control, the catfish’s proximal radials arise in a manner somewhat similar to the metapterygial radials in basal actinopterygians and humerus in sarcopterygians. Thus, the catfish fin pattern seems homoplastic, aris

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”