Move cory fry?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Move cory fry?

Post by Woodh »

I got a surprise spawn of cory(metae) fry, I would guess they are less than 10 but hard to tell since alot of stuff on the bottom of tank. Over the last 3 days I have found 2 of them dead. My line of thinking is that they don't get enough food since they are also with, exactly, 10 ancistrus fry(that I placed in the tank without knowing about the corys randomly spawning which I now regret).

I can tell the ancistrus are much more aggressive on the food so maybe not much left over, also the way I am feeding in hopes of giving the corys something the snails just multiply and any type of sinking food instantly get's swamped by insane amount of them.

My ideas are either moving them to the tank where I moved the parent group, if I can catch them that is, I would say they are around 3-6mm(some on the small side some maybe a little bit larger, after measuring again they are abit larger probably more like 4-8mm) so shouldn't become food with the parents I guess? The other option would be to let it be and hope some of them survive, maybe the move itself would pose a threat to such small fish? My guess is that they are around 1 month old, does the growth sound "normal"? Maybe some are bound to die regardless?

Alot of questions I know but I got one more, how would I even begin to catch them? They are quite fast to say the least :))

Thanks in advance!
Woodh

Re: Move cory fry?

Post by Woodh »

So I simply did it, moved them to the parent tank but in a floating box. Or well atleast 9 of them, 2 didn't wanna leave the net so they are now the pilots for staying with the grown ups. Can you spot the youngling in pic number 1?

11 in total but might have missed one or two, did try to look hard though so I think that's all of them. I might just let them all swim out later today since they don't seem to like the box but if they settle it would be a good place to let them grow some, no?
Attachments
rymmare.JPG
cory2.JPG
cory1.JPG
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

Super cool. Found the little guy.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

fishguy1978 wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 23:15 Super cool. Found the little guy.
I agree but then again they are my first cory fry. Just hope some make it to adults since my school of 7 could really use some increase in numbers as they are very shy/skittish and adding more if they didn't solve it themselves would be pricey if not downright impossible.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

Small update on the fry for anyone who is interested! The 9 fry in the box seems to be doing fine and have grown quite fast, the two that took off into the tank have not been spotted and I am afraid they have died. There are only 12 adult corys and 2 bristlenose fry in the tank so not sure why that would be, maybe they got buried during a water change, is that even a real risk? :-\

Once or twice a day I replace the water in the box simply by raising it close to the surface so I have to "refill it", otherwise I just feed(maybe quite heavily but I have a hard time gauging how much I should give).
Attachments
metae3.JPG
metae2.JPG
metae1.JPG
gossei
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:3)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Baltimore, Maryland

Post by gossei »

Don't be surprised if the two that got away are still in there. I've had fry show up that I didn't know I had--and at a size that made me wonder how I'd managed to miss them.

Blaise
loveslothful
Location 1: Alaska
Location 2: Anchorage

Post by loveslothful »

Woodh wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 08:00 So I simply did it, moved them to the parent tank but in a floating box. Or well atleast 9 of them, 2 didn't wanna leave the net so they are now the pilots for staying with the grown ups. Can you spot the youngling in pic number 1?

11 in total but might have missed one or two, did try to look hard though so I think that's all of them. I might just let them all swim out later today since they don't seem to like the box but if they settle it would be a good place to let them grow some, no?
They looks very cool.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”